Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron 1525  (Read 2216 times)

JagX22

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Dell Inspiron 1525
    « on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »
    Hi All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that has completely died.  I'm not sure what happened to it exactly, as there is not evidence of a drop or a spill, but there are no signs of life whatsoever.  I took the battery out, and plugged in the adapter.  I know the adapter works fine as the little green light comes on when it's plugged in, and I tried it in another laptop in which it worked.  When I hit the power button nothing happens.  No lights turn on, or flash, no sounds are made...nothing.  It's lifeless.  I was thinking about just hitting eBay and ordering a new motherboard, but does anyone know if this is the right thing to do?  I don't have the $100 bucks to throw down without being certain so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. 

Thanks

truenorth

Guru

Re: Dell Inspiron 1525
      « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:54:22 AM »
      Very difficult to diagnose the problem when there is absolutely no life in the computer. I assume the little green light that you are referring to  is on the adapter. It does sound like an absence of power getting to the computer. The adapter may show itself to be functional but if the connection is faulty it will not recharge the battery (therefore the battery would eventually be without charge). Also if such were the case the adapter itself would not deliver power to the contact on the computer--which is where the issue could be--the contact at the computer. Even if the fault were an overheating issue it should come on if only briefly. Normally it is not a good idea for the average user to try and delve into the innards of a laptop so be cautious about doing that yourself.When it did work before was there some indication (before actually turning it on ) that it had life? truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »
      If he had an extended warren y plan, ...
      he would not be asking this question now.

Because of market preferences and pricing,
      anything in the counselor market...
      has a limited life / maintenance cycle.

Or, to put it another way.
      The failure may be small part that cost...
      only 75 cents in the cost of mass-production.
      But to replace it now, post-production...
      would  will cost $75  for human labor.

JagX22

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:53:18 AM »
        Thank you both for answering, and I greatly apologize for taking so long to get back.  I am a bit more than an average user.  I actually work at an IT firm (if you can believe it) and run a small computer repair company (though I am ashamed to admit it at this present time).  I know the power supply for this computer works fine, as I have tested it.  I also know that the battery is fine.  It has to be the system board because i swapped the battery with another and it still didn't respond.  Even if there was something wrong with the DC link inside the PC, putting in a newly charged battery would determine if the laptop could power on or not, which it didn't.  I have basically ruled out all issues with the power supply and the connecting link.  I will be getting in a new system board soon so I will let you know if that fixes it.  Also, I hear these systems have a lot of trouble anyway, so hopefully after it's fixed it won't bust again.  It could just be that it's a lemon :-o 

Thank you