Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: C: Drive Not Reporting Proper Disk Space Post Defraggler Defragging  (Read 9678 times)

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

System detail:

Hewlett Packard m9600t
    Intel Core i7 940 @ 2.93 GHZ
    Windows Vista 64-bit Home
    4 GB RAM
    768 MB NvIdia Geforce 9600 GS

Problem detail:

I'm having an issue that seems quite peculiar. After using Defraggler to Defrag my HD the other day, my C drive is not updating its disk usage. It is "stuck" at 174 gigs of a free space, in spite of deleting files well in excess of one gig. Moreover, prior to the defragmentation, I had 240 some gigs of space by the reckoning of my C: Drive.

What could have happened?

I am not seeing any deleted files or corruption on the disk.

Also, when I highlight my entire C drive manually, it gives my total disk space used at 323 GB (347,019,529,400 bytes)

This is out of a volume which is 581

So...I should have 258 gigs free. Which seems about right, considering I've deleted a lot of files since my Defraggler earlier this week.

Any insight into this sorta situation?

Mulreay

Re: C: Drive Not Reporting Proper Disk Space Post Defraggler Defragging
    « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:44:53 PM »
    Any partitions on the disk?

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
    i'm wondering what happens if you use the windows checkdisk.

Startup the command prompt, type chkdsk/r and press enter.

If there is message saying you need to schedule chkdsk until you restart computer, type y. Then restart PC.

Also, I like to use auslogics disk defrag to defrag my pc. It runs pretty well.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:24:46 AM »
      Any partitions on the disk?

Small recovery partition consisting of 14 gigs, 2 gigs used. It hasn't been touched.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:25:43 AM »

If there is message saying you need to schedule chkdsk until you restart computer, type y. Then restart PC.

I'll tell you what chkdsk says when my computer restarts. As I'm not sure how long the entire process is going to take, I am going to do it when I go to sleep in several hours.

talontromper

Hopeful
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »
        see if this registers the same amount of disk space as the windows operating system. its sequoia view it lists in tree form or block form what is taking up disk space (registers free space as well)

http://majorgeeks.com/SequoiaView_d5041.html
        "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »

I did the chkdsk while I was asleep, and sadly, it didn't stay on screen by the time I woke up. Anyway to check it in any Windows logs?

Good thing: It did go through without any problem apparently. But I just don't know the full results.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 05:20:37 PM »
            see if this registers the same amount of disk space as the windows operating system. its sequoia view it lists in tree form or block form what is taking up disk space (registers free space as well)

http://majorgeeks.com/SequoiaView_d5041.html

Size: 409 gb

Free: 172 gb

This corresponds to Windows in free space, but not in the total disk space. Windows reports total diskspace as 581 gb, a whopping 170 gb more than Sequoia.

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
            I did the chkdsk while I was asleep, and sadly, it didn't stay on screen by the time I woke up. Anyway to check it in any Windows logs?

Good thing: It did go through without any problem apparently. But I just don't know the full results.

Try going to administrative tools - event viewer - windows logs - application - click on 'source' at the middle top ..find the wininit'item and click (or double click) on it to view ...

or perhaps try to find "bootex.log" in the root folder of the drive.

One of those should give you relevant information. See how much free space has been checked and if there's an error or not.

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »
              Try going to administrative tools - event viewer - windows logs - application - click on 'source' at the middle top ..find the wininit'item and click (or double click) on it to view ...

or perhaps try to find "bootex.log" in the root folder of the drive.

One of those should give you relevant information. See how much free space has been checked and if there's an error or not.

Thanks so much, friend!

Here's the Info:

Checking file system on C:
              The type of the file system is NTFS.
              Volume label is HP.

A disk check has been scheduled.
              Windows will now check the disk.                         
                233280 file records processed.                                     2286 large file records processed.                               0 bad file records processed.                                 0 EA records processed.                                       44 reparse records processed.                                  297774 index entries processed.                                    0 unindexed files processed.                                  233280 security descriptors processed.                           Cleaning up 2000 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
              Cleaning up 2000 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
              Cleaning up 2000 unused security descriptors.
                32248 data files processed.                                     CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
                37644672 USN bytes processed.                                      Usn Journal verification completed.
              CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
                233264 files processed.                                          File data verification completed.
              CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
                45577876 free clusters processed.                                  Free space verification is complete.
              Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

610188830 KB total disk space.
               427403140 KB in 174507 files.
                  114548 KB in 32249 indexes.
                       0 KB in bad sectors.
                  359634 KB in use by the system.
                   65536 KB occupied by the log file.
               182311508 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
               152547207 total allocation units on disk.
                45577877 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
              40 8f 03 00 b0 27 03 00 78 92 05 00 00 00 00 00  @....'..x.......
              4a 13 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  J...,...........
              e0 64 e5 76 00 00 00 00 50 23 56 ff 00 00 00 00  .d.v....P#V.....

Windows has finished checking your disk.
              Please wait while your computer restarts.

talontromper

Hopeful
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:35:02 PM »
              Size: 409 gb

Free: 172 gb

This corresponds to Windows in free space, but not in the total disk space. Windows reports total diskspace as 581 gb, a whopping 170 gb more than Sequoia.

Were you in the C: directory when you scanned the HDD? If not that accounts for the size difference
              "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

DrSatanDracula

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
                Were you in the C: directory when you scanned the HDD? If not that accounts for the size difference

Yep. I just double checked to make sure.

Here's a pic:

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

talontromper

Hopeful
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »
                I just did the math on the check disks files and it says that you have used 407.6033973693848 gbs of the HDD and that there is 173.8658027648926 gbs available. According to the chkdsk you have what it says.

talontromper

Hopeful
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 06:49:39 PM »
                I had this problem a while back with vista. I used a system restore to solve my problem. Idk if you want to do that or not, how long have you had this particular problem? Another thing i did was i stopped using defraggler cause I thought that it was the cause too, i switched to auslogics disk defrag. In my opinion it is a superior program to defraggler and after the switch and the restore i had no problems.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_auslogics_disk_defrag/

Here's the link to the file. See whatca think.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
                Remember that unless you empty the recycle bin, the "deleted" files will still occupy space on the drive, as well.

IMO the best option for defragmentation is to not do it. NTFS is pretty similar to the various Linux filesystems that claim to not require defragmentation, so I really don't see why people have this complex that "windows machine"="needs defragmentation".

Now if you were using FAT32, that's a different story altogether.

The ONE.. the very ONLY time that I ever installed a Defragmentation program (Smartdefrag) I ended up with an unbootable system. Aside from that I've had Zero disk problems, speed or space wise.

EDIT: also, the "no need to defragment" thing is amplified by the fact that both Vista and Windows 7 will perform defragmentation in the background during idle time.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.