Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Opening .pdf file on OREA website keeps coming up Internet Explorer Error  (Read 3591 times)

Listar

Topic Starter

I am currently taking my real estate course online and it is important that I am able to open the .pdf files they have available to students to support their ongoing learning. Every time I click on a .pdf file on this site, it cannot open it and prompts me to send an error report.

I have downloaded the latest version of Adobe, however that did not seem to remedy the problem.
    I called OREA to tell them about the problem I'm having, however they were not having the same problem on their end so it seems that it is my individual computer.

Please help if you can

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Try Foxit Reader...Free.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Listar

Topic Starter

Thanks. I did download Foxit Reader. It did not resolve the problem with opening it in Internet Explorer but I was able to open the .pdf documents using Opera - how strange. I would much rather use Internet Explorer.

Just a thought - why does it seem to be opening the .pdf in another web page rather than Foxit or Adobe? Are my preferences set wrong or something?

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        I know there's been issues with Windows 7 and Adobe Reader (and Acrobat) 8.x regarding opening pages in a web browser, but since you're using XP...

Anyway, what version of Internet Explorer are you using?
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        Just a thought - why does it seem to be opening the .pdf in another web page rather than Foxit or Adobe? Are my preferences set wrong or something?

No ...you're misunderstanding what happens with certain file associations...opening a .pdf will launch whatever app is selected to view .pdf's....the Browser is then out of the picture.

Unless the browser has built-in capabilities for viewing .pdf's which would mean it would open in a new browser window...but i've seen them all and they pretty much suck...a dedicated .pdf viewer app is best IMHO.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "