Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer doesn't turn on because of internal battery or motherboard?  (Read 3508 times)

cleeg

I couldn't get my emachine w3052 with Xp to turn on (had this problem before and a thorough cleaning took care of it) so I cleaned it again. This time I made the mistake of taking the internal battery out (left out over 24 hours) and now when I put everything back together, I get that funny British siren sound so I unplugged it immediately. I tried plugging it in again and nothing, no sound, power, etc. I removed everything except for monitor and keyboard and still nothing. Is there any hope or does this mean my motherboard is fried? Thank you for any expert advise and help!!!!.

Pointman

Rookie

Re: Computer doesn't turn on because of internal battery or motherboard?
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:53:49 PM »
    Check your RAM and reseat.  The internal battery is to save your CMOS settings and all you did by removing it is to reset the setting back to factory.  Your computer will start on factory specs.  By "removed everything except for monitor and keyboard" did you mean that you took out the RAM and other internal parts or did you just take off the external stuff, ie the printer, scanner and the like?  If you took out the RAM and plugged it back it you should have gotten a beep code of 3 beeps.  If you didn't get any beep code, then your MB is toast.  If you took off the external stuff, that shouldn't have stopped your computer from starting.

slick58

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:43:55 AM »
      Hello,
         I am having the same problem as far as my laptop is not turning back on. Compaq Pressario cq60-206. I was using it and it just shut off. I turned it back on for about 15 sec and it shut off again. Now, it does nothing. One of the lights flickers for a sec and that's it.
         Is it possible that the last time I cleaned it with air I screwed up the fan? I was using considerable pressure and you could hear the fan rev-up fast. The reason I say this is I don't recall hearing the fan since I cleaned it. I didn't really think about it untill this happened. Could my computer have overheated and blew something. I would like to think I could just press a reset button somewhere but I don't see one. I am going to try pulling the RAM out like you said above and listen for the 3 beeps or is that just applicable to Cleegs Emachine?
                                              Thanks much for any replies!

Accessless

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »
      I couldn't get my emachine w3052 with Xp to turn on (had this problem before and a thorough cleaning took care of it) so I cleaned it again. This time I made the mistake of taking the internal battery out (left out over 24 hours) and now when I put everything back together, I get that funny British siren sound so I unplugged it immediately. I tried plugging it in again and nothing, no sound, power, etc. I removed everything except for monitor and keyboard and still nothing. Is there any hope or does this mean my motherboard is fried? Thank you for any expert advise and help!!!!.

When you say 'no power' do you mean that when you try to turn the machine on you get no response at all? Or do the fans spin up. Does the motherboard light up whilst plugged into the mains (not turned on just plugged in)?

Option 1 if you're getting power to the mobo: Then try checking all your connections (RAM, graphics, fan connectors, the works).

Option 2 if your getting no power to the mobo at all: Then change the fuse in the power cable or test the cable in something else, they're pretty standard. If the cable is fine then test the computer with another power supply, you may need to replace it.

Option 3 if you replace the power supply and you still get beep codes: Reconnect everything in the PC as in 'Option 1'.

Hello,
         I am having the same problem as far as my laptop is not turning back on. Compaq Pressario cq60-206. I was using it and it just shut off. I turned it back on for about 15 sec and it shut off again. Now, it does nothing. One of the lights flickers for a sec and that's it.
         Is it possible that the last time I cleaned it with air I screwed up the fan? I was using considerable pressure and you could hear the fan rev-up fast. The reason I say this is I don't recall hearing the fan since I cleaned it. I didn't really think about it untill this happened. Could my computer have overheated and blew something. I would like to think I could just press a reset button somewhere but I don't see one. I am going to try pulling the RAM out like you said above and listen for the 3 beeps or is that just applicable to Cleegs Emachine?
                                              Thanks much for any replies!

Slick58, you have quite a differrent situation to Cleeg. Please start your own topic.