Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard problem or a power supply problem??  (Read 2202 times)

nasus23

Motherboard problem or a power supply problem??
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
I would appreciate any advice...The first problem that appeared with my pc was my modem quit working. A few days later my mouse quit working. While I was in control panel trying to add another mouse, my LCD screen went blank. I turned the LCD off and on again--the LCD brand logo appeared, then nothing. But my pc was still on. Is this a motherboard or power supply problem? Thanks for the help!

grandpa_simpson

Re: Motherboard problem or a power supply problem??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 01:17:46 PM »
There are two ways of going about testing the power supply.. You can swap in a supply of equal or greater wattage and if the problems go away, then you've found the culprit.  If problems persist, then the board is likely the problem.

The other way is finding a voltmeter and testing the psu directly.  If the values measured fall within +/- 5% of the voltages specified then you know the psu is the culprit..

See here for the break down of the voltage pinout of the psu..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Don't bother with the negative voltages

edit: make sure the computer is on, if you decide to test the voltages with a voltmeter

Pointman

Rookie

Re: Motherboard problem or a power supply problem??
    « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:24:51 PM »
    I'm almost positive that it's not the PSU.  I would replace the motherboard with a known good one first.  Power supplies will freeze your computer if it's going out.