Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 7: System Image : New Harddrive  (Read 2532 times)

nothlit

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Win 7: System Image : New Harddrive
    « on: August 17, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
    I have a business laptop with safeboot encryption meaning I have to enter a username/password before the OS can boot. This would also mean that I can't boot to a windows recovery disk to tell windows to recover to a System Image if I'm not mistaken. If this is true then the rest of my question will be somewhat void unless I can convince the folks to unencrypt my drive for a day while I build my image and recreate on the new drive.

What I am trying to figure out if a System Image will allow me to backup my current setup on a 80 GB HD to a 250 GB HD. Trying to make restoring my OS as painless as possible as I've honestly gotten everything the way I want it. :)

I do see this http://www.clonezilla.org/ which to be honest I've never used before. I've used Ghost and could go that route but this would still require I believe booting to a CD which with the environment/encryption I can't do currently.

Let me know your thoughts please. :)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Win 7: System Image : New Harddrive
    « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
    You can store a disc image on any medium (cd, dvd, hd, removable hd) and restore from that medium. I've never used Clonezilla but I've been using Acronis True Image for a long time.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Win 7: System Image : New Harddrive
    « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »
    Without the password for the image you are basically screwed and are looking at doing a clean install...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "