Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disc Copy 2.3 ate up all my external hard drive-- from 320GB to 37GB now!  (Read 6858 times)

sirzune

Topic Starter

Rookie

Is there a way to delete the computer hard drive clone on the external hard drive and recover the files that were lost?  I want my full external storage capacity back and, if possible, the files.  Thanks.  I'm running XP Home.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    No idea what you are talking about. How about starting at the beginning and telling us the whole story?

sirzune

Topic Starter

Rookie

Yea, I should start from the beginning...
      I have a 300+gb external SATA hard drive with music, movies, etc.  I thought it important to do a full copy of my computer to this hard drive by using Easeus Disc Copy 2.3.  Well I prepared the boot disk per instructions and proceeded to copy from computer to external hard drive.  All went well...sort of.

I then checked the status of the external hard drive and it is exactly the same size as my internal disc.  I went into computer management and found that the external hard drive has 2 partitions [NTFS]: the copied C drive  and a huge amount of unallocated space , perhaps still with the files I'm looking to recover back to it.

I'd like to know if it is possible to actually keep the copied C drive and recover all the files on the unallocated space back to the external hard drive.  I can't possible be able to take any files (if recoverable) from external drive to computer drive, as my computer has only a 37gb hard drive (enough for my purposes).   I really think it impossible to keep the copied C drive on the external AND recover the allocated space, now that I think about it.  If this isn't possible, how can I  repartition the external hd to it's full capacity, never mind about saving anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks
      « Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:42:23 PM by sirzune »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Nope, your files are gone.  You performed a disk to disk copy and that's what it did, 37GB internal drive created 37GB partition with the remainder unallocated on your external drive.  EASUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition might get some of them back.  Next time perform a partition to partition copy.  Better yet, create an image backup which is compressed.  http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

sirzune

Topic Starter

Rookie

Nope, your files are gone.  You performed a disk to disk copy and that's what it did, 37GB internal drive created 37GB partition with the remainder unallocated on your external drive.  EASUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition might get some of them back.  Next time perform a partition to partition copy.  Better yet, create an image backup which is compressed.  http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Thanks.  Well, in that case, is there a way to wipe the external HD clean of the copied C drive and simply get all the space back for storage again?

Allan

• Mastermind
        Use computer management to delete the partition(s) and reformat.

sirzune

Topic Starter

Rookie

Use computer management to delete the partition(s) and reformat.

Using computer management to erase and reformat a external hard drive seems to me to simple.  If this was the general way to go why are there so many programs dedicated to erasing and repartitioning data on external hard drives?

Allan

• Mastermind
          For the same reason every ice cream manufacturer makes vanilla and chocolate.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          Using computer management to erase and reformat a external hard drive seems to me to simple.  If this was the general way to go why are there so many programs dedicated to erasing and repartitioning data on external hard drives?
          Computer Management will destroy any data.  Programs you refer to will do what they do without destroying any data.

sirzune

Topic Starter

Rookie

Thanks.  I simply thought that computer management would actually take an inordinate amount of time doing this, as paid and some free programs will do it very quickly.  Wouldn't I benefit from using an outside program for speed and reliability (base, of course on user feed-back)?

If I happen to go with computer management, on the other hand, would I be able to partition the external hd to its capacity?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            You asked:  "...is there a way to wipe the external HD clean of the copied C drive and simply get all the space back for storage again?"

Allan gave you the answer:  "...Use computer management to delete the partition(s) and reformat..."

Don't make it more involved than it needs to be.

Allan

• Mastermind
            Computer Management will destroy any data.  Programs you refer to will do what they do without destroying any data.
            The OP wants to delete partitions and reformat the drive. How can a third party utility do that without destroying data?

sirzune

Topic Starter

Rookie

Okay, thanks for the responses.  Decided to go with computer management.  I'm grateful.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              The OP wants to delete partitions and reformat the drive. How can a third party utility do that without destroying data?
              He asked:  "...If this was the general way to go why are there so many programs dedicated to erasing and repartitioning data on external hard drives?"
              I replied:  "...Computer Management will destroy any data.  Programs you refer to will do what they do without destroying any data..."

sirzune

Topic Starter

Rookie

Okay, all is fine now.  I deleted the partition in computer services, and formatted the external hard drive to its full capacity with Easeus Partition Master.  the only other thing is now there is an empty foloer on the external drive called "System Volume Information", but it's an empty folder, like my wallet.  Can I safely delete it?  I, again, thank you guys.