Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron Tower will not turn on  (Read 7785 times)

NMac58

Topic Starter

Dell Inspiron Tower will not turn on
    « on: August 23, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
    I have a Dell inspiron desktop that is now a year and a half old (expired warranty). I shut down the computer in the proper manner this morning. When I came home from work I pressed the power button on the tower but there is no response. It was plugged into a surge protector.

I checked all the dumb stuff... power is getting to it. Green light on the back is on, not blinking. Tried holding down the button for over a minute. Opened it up and cleaned out the dust. Do not know what else to do....

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell Inspiron Tower will not turn on
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:11:01 PM »
    You didn't say which model, so I guessed Inspiron 530 Series.
    No Beep Codes?
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm#wp1085300

NMac58

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
      it is an inspiron 518... no beep codes

westom

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 08:40:03 AM »
        When I came home from work I pressed the power button on the tower but there is no response. It was plugged into a surge protector.
          A computer only powers on when the power controller tells it to do so.   If using a power strip protector, then protection already inside the power supply may be bypassed.  The surge was connected to the power controller by that protector.  Surge damage sometimes is made easier by a protector without earth ground and too close to the computer.   You should have finally learned that.

With information provided, everyone can list some suspect.  But the actual suspect list of well over half of the items inside your machine.  Or get a 3.5 digit multimeter, measure voltages on three key wires, and have a useful answer in the very next reply.  Those are your choices.

A reply will only be as useful as facts you provide.  If you provide numbers, then next post is an answer without speculation.  Otherwise every reply can only be 'it might be this' or 'it could be that'.  Your choice.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:45:49 AM »
        Sounds like the power supply may be shot.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:49:32 PM »
          A computer only powers on when the power controller tells it to do so.   If using a power strip protector, then protection already inside the power supply may be bypassed.  The surge was connected to the power controller by that protector.  Surge damage sometimes is made easier by a protector without earth ground and too close to the computer.   You should have finally learned that.

With information provided, everyone can list some suspect.  But the actual suspect list of well over half of the items inside your machine.  Or get a 3.5 digit multimeter, measure voltages on three key wires, and have a useful answer in the very next reply.  Those are your choices.

A reply will only be as useful as facts you provide.  If you provide numbers, then next post is an answer without speculation.  Otherwise every reply can only be 'it might be this' or 'it could be that'.  Your choice.

What? No hair dryer for diagnosis?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.