Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: blocked from uploading my photos onto an email  (Read 3906 times)

julia

Topic Starter

Starter

blocked from uploading my photos onto an email
    « on: August 25, 2010, 01:51:34 PM »
    Hi ,
    I have a Toshiba laptop.
    Recently Hotmail updated their layout and suddenly I can't upload photos from my pc onto an email.
    If I click 'attachments' it appears to make them too big, and if I click photos-then compressed photos, up comes the familiar layout and I click each pic or 'select all' ...but then it goes ping when I click on 'Upload now' and does nothing...
    Frustrating and bewildering.

There is a banner that comes up saying:
    Internet explorer has blocked this site from using an Activex control in an unsafe manner. As a result, this page might not display correctly.

I have updated my anti-virus and switched pc off... this problem has been with me for several days. (maybe even longer without me being aware of it)

Can you help please ???

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: blocked from uploading my photos onto an email
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »
    What windows are you using? What IE version are you using?

julia

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:13:35 AM »
      Hello, thanks for replying.

I am on windows vista home premium.
      I cannot figure out how to find my IE as I am a total novice and can't understand the terms and technicalities.
      Sorry to be such a duffer.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
      hi julia,

welcome to the world of computers. i hope you'll like it here.

I hope this is not too technical for you and you can do it:

In the Browser Toolbar:
      Tools -> Internet Options -> choose the Security tab
      Click the Custom Level button
      Enable the following settings:
       Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins
       Initialize and script ActiveX control not marked as safe.

Also, to find out your Internet explorer version,

To find out which version of Internet Explorer you're using, the cipher strength (SSL) it is using, the product identification number, or to see when the latest update was applied, follow these steps.

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.

Press ALT+H, and then click About Internet Explorer.

Or you just
      go to the tools --> click on help --> about Internet Explorer

(I'm assuming that's what you meant when you said you can'f find your IE?)

after doing one of these (depends on what version IE you have), a box should appear with version number. Good to know the version number of your browser (program you use to go onto hotmail and other sites) you use so people can help you out faster with your browser problems.

Hopefully this would help you with your problem If not, just holler back and we'll help you out some more  :)

julia

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:38:26 AM »
        Hello,
        Thank you for the info. I apologise for the time lapse... I am in France, so six hours ahead of you (if you are over the pond)... also, I have been struggling to understand what you told me to do!

I followed the instructions (or thought I did) but got nowhere and was going to write to you for more help tonight, when a friend wandered in who is a bit more computer savvy than I.

I showed him your post and he was able to do something (I still don't know what) by following your lead.
        The upshot is I can now send my photos, but a box does pop up warning me it might be dodgy... but as I know the sender (me) I took the chance, and will put up with the box. :)

Unfortunately I still don't know the version number of my browser... but hopefully, when the friend comes round again I can ask him.
        I would like to thank you warmly for your help... and say that I will indeed 'holler back' if I get stuck again.
        Best wishes from France.
        Julia