Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reboot and select proper boot drive  (Read 3085 times)

Sanddy

Reboot and select proper boot drive
« on: August 30, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »
When turning on the computer.....the hard drive starts clicking and a message comes up  on the  monitor "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Drive.  I am really not familiar on how to fix computer problems.  Please help

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Reboot and select proper boot drive
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »
the hard drive starts clicking
So called "click of death".
Unfortunately, you'll need a new drive.
Do you have any important data on this drive?

mustdie

Rookie

I know!!!
    « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:56:30 AM »
    Problem is your operating system or your HDD .
    What to do
    1. Try install new windows (when turned on click F8, F12, F4 button and go to Boot Menu and start booting your new windows in CD/DVD drive or removable device).
    if 1. not help
    2. Problem is by your HDD. Remove your HDD and insert in another PC using as secondary partition and try format which partition where is installing operating system. Then insert HDD to your PC and install new windows.
    If you have files if you need in you desktop use Active (bootable progs) to restore it.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:57:23 AM »
    Ignore the post from mustdie

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »
      Same thing I posted for someone else:

Well...there are a couple of options:

1) Take the drive to a data recovery center.

At that point you have to ask yourself if it's worth $500-$3000 to do so.  Big businesses may do this (and even some small to mid-size businesses may, if they can justify it), as the price for losing, say, customer information can be even higher...

2) Try some home remedies.

Home remedies range from bizarre to OMGWTHAYS, but have been known to work circumstantially.  However, if you do any of them, you're doing them at your own risk--nobody here is responsible for the end results, even if it makes it no longer feasible to do Option #1.  Then again, Option #1 aside, some people see that they have nothing more to lose, so they'll do them anyway.  If you are not comfortable doing any of these things, then ignore this entire section!

Many of them include, but are not limited to:

a) Putting the drive in the freezer under the assumption that it keeps the drive cool enough to prevent the platters from expanding into the read/write head. 

Some have frozen their drives overnight, taken them out, hooked them back up, and were able to get some data off before permanent death.  Others have connected their drives to an exposed external enclosure, and ran a USB or eSATA cable out of the freezer into their PCs (or power strip in the case of the power cord for an external enclosure.

I personally have done it both ways, and my results have been hit-and-miss--great when it works, though!  However, I'd be cautious nonetheless simply from the condensation buildup.  I can't confirm whether or not my positive results were simply correlation or that the theory about expanding platters and heat is actually true.

b) Dropping the hard drive in hopes to loosen the read head or stuck platter.

I personally wouldn't do this one simply because dropping any electronic device that's not meant to be dropped can often be a Very Bad Thing.

c) Taking the drive apart in a 100% (and I MEAN 100%) dust-free environment and putting the platters in another hard drive encasing.

I wouldn't do this one either--too much risk of making the data permanently unrecoverable, even by specialized data recovery centers.  Also, who has a 100% dust-free environment in their home?
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.