Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hang on Gateway screen: won't load BIOS, won't boot in safemode  (Read 2933 times)

Irien

Hang on Gateway screen: won't load BIOS, won't boot in safemode
« on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »
I don't restart my XP machine very often, but after about two weeks of increasingly irritating slowness / delayed responsiveness when opening new applications or tabbing between programs, I finally decided to reboot to see if that would help.

Not a great idea apparently, as now the machine won't load at all.  The power supply fan kicks in when I turn it on, but dies down pretty quickly.  The initial Gateway load screen (with F2/F10 to access BIOS) appears, and then... nothing happens.   The screen stays there forever.  No error beep codes, no response if I use the function keys to try to load the bios menu, and no safemode if I hit or hold F8 when I turn it on.  Occasionally, it will give me the normal "yeah, enough already" beeps on keypress if I continue to hit f8 as it starts up, but even that's not consistent.

I'm having some trouble checking the forums for solutions, since the core problem is the absolute lack of anything happening.   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I start tinkering with stuff above my paygrade.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Hang on Gateway screen: won't load BIOS, won't boot in safemode
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
Is the hard drive activity light on when it becomes unresponsive? Did you try resetting the BIOS settings?
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe