Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP not printing jobs queued to network printer whilst print server was down  (Read 4110 times)

banjo67xxx

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Hi,

I queued a print job from Win XP to my network printer when the server was powered off, and since booting the print server (Suse 10 VM on ESX 3.5 running samba and cups) the job is still stuck queued on my laptop (Win XP SP2).

In the past I found that the if I delete every queued job on XP and then send a new print from XP it works fine. However, today the print job is the only copy, and I can't print it again.

I've tried suspending the print queue and resuming it, and I've tried rebooting the XP laptop, but I can't get XP to start printing again.

Can anyone tell me how get the print queue going again without losing the queued job?

or alternatively, where does XP spool is print jobs? and will XP recognise the file type and print it exactly the same way as it was printed originally?

Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: XP not printing jobs queued to network printer whilst print server was down
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »
    When you re-boot all queded tasks are gone...

Sorry.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

banjo67xxx

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 02:34:30 PM »
      $£^$£%&!  you're right!

despite the printers and faxes view is still saying there's 1 job queued. I sent another job and it printed ok. So the job is gone.

Ok - for next time, if I don't reboot the laptop, how would fix it, or copy the spooled files?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »
      Ok - for next time, if I don't reboot the laptop, how would fix it, or copy the spooled files?

Unfortunately, the very best you could hope for are driver specific commands in temporary spool files. The idea of the spool is to run the print job through the printer driver, and then "cache" the actual instructions that the driver wants to send to the printer, and send them later when there is time and the printer is available. It doesn't actually store, say, the word document you want to print.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.