Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell 946 AIO usb connection failed after Windows XP update  (Read 2174 times)

padraig

Topic Starter

Beginner

• a coward dies a million times, free men die once
    • Experience: Beginner
    Dell 946 AIO usb connection failed after Windows XP update
    « on: September 06, 2010, 08:06:25 AM »
    Last week my Dell 946 (connected through USB) was working fine. After a notification from MicroSoft I had updates installed. This has now rendered my printer useless as I receive a message stating that there is a communication error. ???

I am running XP on a Dell XPS410. I have deleted the printer in control panel, unplugged the printer and placed the Dell driver & utility disc in the drive. I receive a message that it needs files (i.e. dlcicur.dll).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Dell 946 AIO usb connection failed after Windows XP update
      « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »
      padraig, Is your printer showing up in "control panel printers and faxes" ? Was the update the installation of xp sp 3? When you deleted the printer did you follow precisely the manual of instruction for it's reinstall? This last item is often the cause of a printer installation failure.
        I could not help but notice your "avatar'. If i might offer a suggestion change it to something that does not represent a political statement. No point in aggravating other members that may not agree with you. If you are an American citizen then of course President Obama  IS your President ( i do take it you may not like that but simply put it is a fact). Also he is NOT my President either but that is because i am NOT a U.S. citizen as are undoubtedly countless 100s of other CH members. Hope my suggestions are helpful to you with your technical issue and in your continued enjoyment of participation in the CH forums,truenorth

padraig

Topic Starter

Beginner

• a coward dies a million times, free men die once
        • Experience: Beginner
        Re: Dell 946 AIO usb connection failed after Windows XP update
        « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »
        TrueNorth,

thank you for the reply on the technical side...the response to my chosen icon is no more offensive than others that I have seen here. However I do respect your opinion.

prior to deleting the printer from the control panel the printer was present. the Microsoft updates were silversheild or something to that effect. Windows XP recognized the plug-n-play device and my install CD for the Dell printer. now the All in One 946 simply "chirps" without the ability to turn off. connection through USB has been lost.

cheers