Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I have lost a document within Word. I mean LOST  (Read 4557 times)

Josee

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have lost a document within Word. I mean LOST
    « on: October 04, 2010, 03:23:38 AM »
    My colleague sent me a version via e-mail of a paper we are working on. As usual, I opened it and it appeared in Word. As I worked on it (for hours I might add) I would frequently click on the 'save' icon. Everything was going well and progressing as usual. Then when I wanted to send her the paper back, I saved once more and closed the document, as it cannot be sent if it is open. I went to 'attachments' as usual and THE PAPER WAS NOT THERE in the documents list. I then dug around in the computer like mad to try to find it, to no avail. It HAS to be somewhere, right? Where was it saving to? Any help will be so deeply appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Josee

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: I have lost a document within Word. I mean LOST
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:25:02 AM »
    reopen it from words recent document list, and then save it somewhere outside the temp folder.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

NY gal

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 01:31:42 PM »
    As I said, I looked everywhere for it. I wish it were somewhere as obvious as 'recent documents.' Besides, with MS 7, there is no specific 'recent documents' like with earlier versions. There is just 'documents' to click on.

Can you help for real? This is serious.

Thanks.

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »
    if you can't find it thru recent document list, you might do a search for it if you remember the file name (windows explorer or start menu should have search function depending on what windows you use).

File should exist, I would think if you're saving it. Next time, save a 2nd copy to different folder or a flash drive or something in case.  :)

NY gal

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
    Thanks. I tried that. My colleague's computer had just crashed before she sent me the file. Could her computer somehow have saved the file in some funky format and then I inadvertently saved this error everytime I saved on my end? It really seems to have disappeared. I am near tears.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »
    Thanks. I tried that. My colleague's computer had just crashed before she sent me the file. Could her computer somehow have saved the file in some funky format and then I inadvertently saved this error everytime I saved on my end? It really seems to have disappeared. I am near tears.

Open word.

in Word 2003:

Select the file menu. Right above the "Exit" Item there is a list of recent items. The top item in that list will be the most recently used.

In word 2007:

The recent documents are listed when you click the "office button" (or whatever it is called) in the upper left corner of the application.

As I said, I looked everywhere for it. I wish it were somewhere as obvious as 'recent documents.' Besides, with MS 7, there is no specific 'recent documents' like with earlier versions. There is just 'documents' to click on.
    Windows 7 is unrelated to word. Although I did omit the posessive apostrophe, when I said "words recent document list" I meant that the documents list was part of word- not windows.

Another option (using win7) could be to use the start->Search and type "recent documents" One of the items that pops up should be labelled "Recent Documents", which may list what you are after.

Can you help for real? This is serious.
    I'm sorry? What does this mean? What I stated before you didn't follow and essentially dismissed offhand as "already tried" so suddenly I'm not "helping for real" come on now, I know that working on something for hours and then discovering it may be lost forever is somewhat jarring (try working on something for 3 years only to have it and it's backups destroyed by a number of coincidences, not pleasant either let me tell you).

Despite your concerns, chances are, the file does exist on your disk somewhere; you can't save a file to nothing. If you downloaded a file from an attachment it will generally be saved somewhere in your documents folder, or, if you are using a browser based mail, to your temporary internet files with a randomly generated name. Outlook  (or IE, or Firefox- whichever program you are using) then discovers the program used to open the file (say, for word, DOC or DOCX) and says "hey, word, open this file, it's called jdkfskdlfs.docx in the temp folder!" and word opens it. Now, when you save the file, it saves to that temp folder with the semi-random name.

Note the following: If you have run a disk cleanup in the meantime, the file may be deleted (as it resides in the temp folder). It might only delete .tmp files though, I'm not sure.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

farmgal

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 08:01:17 PM »
      so sorry that you have lost this file. I was workinng on my book for two years and the computer downloaded a virus from an email and I lost the lot and had to start again. However, in this case, I would take the computer to a good IT person and let them do the work. It sounds as if you need the help of an expert.
      regards,
      babs