Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A document disappeared within Word. Please help!  (Read 2363 times)

NY gal

A document disappeared within Word. Please help!
« on: October 04, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »
I was working with a colleague on a document. She sent it to me as an attachment as she usually does. I opened it from my hotmail and it opened in Word, as it usually does. I worked on it for hours, saving frequently. I then saved it one last time and closed it in order to be able to send it to her. When the box for 'attachments' opened up for me to select a document, it was nowhere to be found. I looked everywhere in Word--no luck. I am using MS 7. My colleagues' computer had just crashed prior to this and the document in question had been rescued from certain death. Could it be that her computer renamed the file and when she sent it to me, although it behaved like a regular file, it actually had some funky extension? Please help me find this document! Where was it saving to? It must be somewhere.

agreimann

Re: A document disappeared within Word. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:38:02 PM »
Look in the directory you saved it to--do you remember? You mention you are running Windows 7--can you open the Start menu and type a piece of the filename to have Windows search the disk for it? You had also mentioned that it could be saved with a different extension, in which case, if possible, please select All Files (*) in the File Types box.

Always save and open things rather than opening them in Hotmail. That way Windows can find it in Windows Explorer.

These are simple pointers that should help you.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.