Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer turns on but no display?  (Read 2211 times)

ReMiX

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer turns on but no display?
    « on: October 18, 2010, 10:46:41 AM »
    Hey. I have an old computer which use to work perfectly until one day when a power cut wen't in the house. It wen't off then after power was restored, it would turn on but no display would show on the moniter. It's not the moniter because it's showing my other computers display as I type.

Also, when the computer turns on, you can hear the fans spinning and it making noises but it's a constant loud noise.
    I've cleaned the inside out but still no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

One more thing... I do not know what make it's since it has no model name on it.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer turns on but no display?
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
    I don't know how experienced you are with removing components from comps, but if I were you, I would take the power supply out of the comp you are using now and test it in the broken comp.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

ReMiX

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:36:49 AM »
      Okay I'll do that. Also, is there any think I need to keep in mind while doing it? Does it matter what power supply you use? Like Dell, Acer, ect.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »
      A few of the old dell models have an unstandard main power connector.

I do not know what make it's since it has no model name on it.
      What is the model of the working computer?
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Arejaygee

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:03:49 AM »
        A power cut can cause power surges with electronic devices, your computer could be ruined in any number of ways.

You already know the Monitor is fine, if you used the same cable you know that is fine too.

Try a power supply you know works, like Linux711 said, if it still doesnt work try testing each component seperatly:

If you have a  Graphics Card, test that in a working PC. If it still works its not the GPU.

If you have onboard graphics, test the motherboard with parts that you know work (memory, CPU, power supply etc), if it doesn't work, you've screwed your motherboard.

Test the memory, processor etc etc only if testing the Graphics card, motherboard and power supply gives you no results (these are unlikally to give you no signal on your monitor anyway)

Unfortuantly things like this happen, pop down to your local hardware store and pick up a surge protected extension board to avoid this from happening. The surge protector controls the amount of electricity that passes through, so you can never have a sudden surge of electricity (hence the name)

Do or do not. There is no try.