Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP: can't boot at all: nor enter safe mode etc. can only enter (DOS?) setup menu  (Read 3514 times)

bbordivad

Topic Starter

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Hi,

Problem started with comp insisting that Mozilla Firefox was running. Checked in task manager: not running. Uninstalled and reinstalled MF. Could never use MF again.

Then, started to get "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME" when starting up. Message became more common, and recently 3-5 attempts were required every time for successful boot.

Last night was unable to access emails, and many websites did not give full access. Notes started appearing whenever I tried accessing these www's, but I forget what they said. Basically indicated the comp was very unhappy.

Tried booting today and DOS(?) message changed from UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME to telling that I needed to run a disc check. DSCCHK/ F (?) something like that.

Now it will not boot even that far: the screen flashes DELL in very large font, with F2 for setup and F12 for boot menu. After this, the screen goes blank except for curser at top left for 2 seconds, then goes completely blank.

Tried to use CD-ROM to boot; no joy.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Cheers.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Change the boot order in the BIOS to CDROM 1st then HDD via setup...
    Then boot to the Recovery Console and at the prompt type in chkdsk /r and hit Enter...

NOTE: There is a space between chkdsk and the /r switch...
    Let it run to completion...do NOT interrupt it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

bbordivad

Topic Starter

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      Hi Patio and thank you for your fast reply.

I have done what you suggested by changing the boot order.

Then I tried rebooting several times. First of all a message "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD..." appears. Then one of two things happens:

- it seems that if I am not quick enough to press a key nothing more happens. The CD itself sounds to stop spinning after 5 seconds and the message remains on the screen.

- if I am not so slow at pressing a key it goes a stage further: a message flashes "setup is inspecting comp's hardware configuration"(?). The screen goes blank and the CD itself sounds to stop spinning after 5 seconds.

Also, will it be obvious what the recovery console is when I get there? I am out of my depth using computers in anything other than Windows.

It's bedtime in the part of the world I live in, so I will sign on tomorrow.

Regards,

Dave