Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SATA Drivers (WD Raptor)  (Read 5299 times)

sovietspark

SATA Drivers (WD Raptor)
« on: August 03, 2005, 06:42:59 PM »
I just bought me a WD Raptor 10,000 RPM hard drive, and it was OEM, so it comes with nothing, its just the hard drive. Anyway, I was wondering whether there are any drivers I should install for this? It's working fine right now, though does it need special drivers? Its using the WinXP drivers that date back to 2001.

One thing that annoys me is that because its not IDE, the computer thinks its a removable drive and displays the remove hardware icon in my taskbar. Is there a way that I can tell my computer that this is NOT a removable device?

Raptor

Re: SATA Drivers (WD Raptor)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 08:08:59 PM »
Try contacting Western Digital technical support. They will most likely be more than eager to send you a diskette that contains up to date drivers.

sovietspark

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 10:29:01 PM »
I don't have a floppy drive :P

Anyway, I already checked their site and have scoured several driver sites, and none have any drivers for it.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 06:38:45 AM »
I don't have a floppy drive :P

Anyway, I already checked their site and have scoured several driver sites, and none have any drivers for it.

If there are  no drivers on their website, ask them to send drivers for your HDD. They will send them for free on a diskette. At least, they did for me when I needed an older variant of HDD diagnostic tools.

You can always use another computer to copy the files you need onto a CD-ROM or another medium.

With SATA HDD, you should install an FDD, as you need one when installing Windows. Otherwise it will not detect the SATA HDD should you want to use it as the first boot device. Correct me if I am wrong, but I could not install a SATA without the drivers.

sovietspark

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 03:22:50 PM »
Okay, so I don't really know what needs to be done to install Windows properly. I can borrow a FDD from another computer for now. Anyway, I have absolutley no idea what to do from here? Any step by step guides or anything anywhere?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 03:29:15 PM by sovietspark »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 04:01:37 PM »
    Wouldn't the sata drivers be mobo software?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 05:11:58 PM »
    Okay, so I don't really know what needs to be done to install Windows properly. I can borrow a FDD from another computer for now. Anyway, I have absolutley no idea what to do from here? Any step by step guides or anything anywhere?

Step by step for what? Do you still need to install Windows? I thought you added the SATA HDD for extra storage?