Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble Reinstalling XP Pro on Dell Latitude D600 Laptop  (Read 13231 times)

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Trouble Reinstalling XP Pro on Dell Latitude D600 Laptop
    « on: November 02, 2010, 01:01:15 PM »
    For various reasons, I want to reinstall XP Pro on my Dell Laptop.  However, the Dell reinst. disk is apparently missing two nVidia Chipset Raid Driver files - nvgts.sys and nvrd32.sys.  Soon after the system begins loading files in to RAM, it reports that the files are missing and aborts.  I googled this and found it is a common problem with Dell reinst. disks.  I've tried writing the files to a CD (I have no floppy drive), and pressing F6 to manually load the drivers; then inserting the CD with the drivers, but apparently the program wants only to locate them on a floppy disk.  Anyone have suggestions to get around this issue?  I'm concerned that I don't have the expertise to extract a reinst. disk, add the missing drivers, and reassemble the disk.
    Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Trouble Reinstalling XP Pro on Dell Latitude D600 Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:15:38 PM »
    What exactly does it say on this XP CD > ??
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 04:23:24 PM »
      "Can not find nvrd32.sys" - Since I have yet to get beyond that point in the installation, I can only assume that, if nvrd32.sys had been located and copied to the hard drive, a subsequent report of "Can not find nvgts.sys" might display, since historical reports of this Dell installation problem tend to include both these nVidia chipset drivers as missing (or at least, not being found) on the install disk.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:44:53 PM »
      What exactly does it say on this XP CD > ??

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »
        For Patio:
        Sorry - I didn't get your meaning - You may be concerned that I'm using the wrong disk.  The disk has the following label:  "Operating System"-"Already Installed on your Computer"-"Reinstallation CD"-"Microsoft Windows XP Professional"-"including Service Pack 1a".

For Computer_Commando:  Thanks for the link - but I checked this out earlier today, on the hope that, because this is a relatively widely-reported bug in certain of Dell's XP Pro Reinstallation CDs, their website's reinstallation help might include a fix or workaround for the problem described above.   I didn't find such a fix or workaround.   I've reinstalled XP and XP Pro on Dell machines on a number of instances over the past few years, but this is the first time I've had the install fail due to a missing driver (or inability to locate a driver) on a reinstallation disk.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »
        Make sure all the external peripherals are disconnected when you run the reinstall.

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
          There were no peripherals attached during the reinstall efforts - not even a mouse.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »
          When I encounter stubborn Windows installs, I format the hard drive with FAT32 from a bootable DOS CD.  It loads the files to the HD, not RAM.  Then boot the Windows Install CD.  As you've seen, it's a driver it doesn't need; which is probably why it can't find it.  If you have another WinXP-Pro CD, use it and then provide the Dell D600 Product ID when asked.  The Dell Forums aren't much help.

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 06:58:40 PM »
            I've tried a total of three XP Pro CDs in this debacle.  The original received with the machine; another Dell XP Pro CD of a later vintage (Svc Pack 3); and a full (non-OEM) version from Microsoft (Svc Pack 2).  All 3 failed to install because of not finding nvrd32.sys; and, yes, the driver does not appear to be needed by the Dell D600.  But, guess what - after the first reinstall failure, I found the file right off the bat stored away in the Windows\dell\ subdirectory of the laptop's system drive.

None of this adds up for me - but then, if it did, I probably would not have brought the matter to the forum.  Maybe someone out there will have a lead on a fix.  I don't have a bootable DOS O/S disk, but if I did, I'd give your idea a whirl, since at this point, I'm ready to attempt to follow thru on any reasonable suggestion.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 05:19:34 AM »
            Try the reinstall with just 1 stik of RAM installed.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 04:28:40 PM »
              For Patio:

I respect your experience and will try your suggestion.  Would you mind passing along a word or two on the logic of this approach?

For Computer_Commando:

I'm really most interested in getting thru a clean install (if that's possible), but if I'm forced to give up on my first choice, the Repair Install would be worth trying.

Thanks to you both.  I have a significant construction project underway at my residence (likely to take another 3 weeks or so), and it's really impeding other things.  That's the reason for the delay in responding to your posts.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 04:55:34 PM »
              ...I'm really most interested in getting thru a clean install (if that's possible), but if I'm forced to give up on my first choice, the Repair Install would be worth trying...
              Just wanted to see if a Repair Install does not give the error.  Once a clean install is initiated, there's no turning back.
              Copy the Windows\dell\ subdirectory of the laptop's system drive to a CD & a USB drive (in case one or the other is not accessible).  You shouldn't need any of the drivers until after the OS is installed and running.
              If you're prepared to format the drive, download Win98SE bootdisk (http://www.bootdisk.com/) & create a bootable CD from the floppy disk image.  You will need burning software such as Nero to make a "Create Bootable Disc".  Boot the DOS CD and format the existing "C" partition, which will leave the Dell hidden partitions in place, if they exist on you machine.  Now that nothing is there, use your Windows installation disc and install as if it were a new drive.

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
                Thanks to Patio for the suggestion regarding altering the RAM installation.  I happened to have another computer which includes a 1 gb strip of PC 3200 RAM.  I borrowed it and installed it in the offending Dell D600, and, as if by magic, the message about "unable to find" certain driver files just disappeared.  I have no idea as to why or how, but swapping out the RAM seems to have fixed the problem.  Thanks also to Computer_Commando for his input on this matter.

Maybe this experience will be helpful to another amateur at some point in the future.