Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: posting problems  (Read 3129 times)

car17isbest

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    posting problems
    « on: November 04, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
    I am having trouble posting replies to just one forum (a newspaper site) I use, and the problem only occurs when I use my laptop that has Vista OS.  I can post to that site from other computers in my home as well as from my office computer, none of which use Vista.  Not sure if the OS might be the problem, or coincidence.

I am wondering if Vista somehow has a different way of handling cookies and history than other Windows operating systems?

I've wondered if the problem could be my browser (generally use Firefox) but I have the problem on this computer even if I use IE or Google Chrome; on the other hand, I AM able to post on the site from my other computers using Firefox or other browsers.

I have tried deleting cookies from that site; doesn't seem to make a difference.  Perhaps I am making no sense, but I just cannot seem to figure this out.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  If you need more info from me, let me know as well.

Mulreay

Egghead
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Space and Science
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: posting problems
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:07:13 PM »
    Do you have permission to post on said site?
    For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost,
    But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
    Do you have permission to post on said site?
    Since he posts on the site from other computers I'm going to guess that he does ;)

car17 - have you contacted the webmaster or admin at the forum in question to run it by them? It is certainly not a problem related to Vista.

Can you log on to the site from the problem system?

Mulreay

Egghead
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Space and Science
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »
    Since he posts on the site from other computers I'm going to guess that he does ;)

Ahh the old mother of all feck ups is assumption but work away.
    For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost,
    But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 03:24:05 PM »
    I was actually being polite to you when I used the word "assume". But since you chose to respond as you did, let me put it this way -- if he can post on the site from every computer but one, clearly he has permission to post there.

car17isbest

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »
      Yes, I am registered at that site and can log in from my "trouble" computer.  I can visit different pages of the site.  As I said, it is a newspaper, and there is an area for posting responses to each article.  From other computers I can post replies, but from my laptop I cannot. 

I can post at other sites (this one, for example).  I actually have no trouble with any other sites and I can get around that newspaper site just fine - I just can't post on that site.  When I type something in the comment box it shows, and when I hit "add reply" it looks like it is going to post...the site reloads, but the post doesn't show up.  As I said, it works properly from other computers. 

I have contacted the website editor, and he doesn't know what's wrong.  Apparently the newspaper is part of another news system and the local guy doesn't know the tech side.  Maybe I need to ask him how I can be in touch with someone in the systems tech dept. 

Very strange, I think, and I was hoping someone would have some idea of what the problem might be.

Thank you to those of you who have replied.