Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reason for drives to not work if cables are plugged into the motherboard  (Read 2952 times)

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

I was putting a friends power supply from his computer into an extra pc of mine that I had to used the power supply on another pc. I thought it was simple enough to do since I had done this before with no issues. Now when I turn the computer on none of the drives work. If I unplug the cables from either the cd rom or the hard drive they start running. But no data can go through. I just had this computer running 5 days ago with it's own power supply. I am out of ideas and answers.
    Thank you
    Amy C.

No-one

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Reason for drives to not work if cables are plugged into the motherboard
      « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »
      Hi Amy C,

Okay most likley it sounds like the power supply may just not have enough juice to run what you need. What watt power supply is it and what are the specs of the computer?
      Try diconnecting JUST the CD drive from both power and the computer and see if it boots.

Hope this helps,

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »
        The computers are not here so I don't have any specs. I know the one I had is a Dell and I think it was a 2400. The other is a Gateway and it isn't as upgraded. The CPU was a 1.3 . The power supply had a fan on the side. The one off of the Dell didn't. I had just the HDD plugged in and it still didn't boot. No beeps or anything.
        Thank you!!

No-one

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
          Okay just a bit confused so easist thing I can do to get is a true or false quiz. Apologies if it seems rude in any way but I am a mathematician and we strongly dislike ambiguity.

1) When everything is connected nothing turns on not even fans.
          2) when you disconnect either the hardrive OR the Cd Drive it runs.
          3) If either are connected it does not run.
          4) if the CD or HD is connected to the mainboard it boots as long as there is no power to one device.
          5) you have access to the computer to attempt fixes tonight.
          6) It boots if no drives whatsoever are connected.
          7) the hardrive is connected using SATA.
          8) Both computers worked before they became PSU donors.

Ithink that should help me get a better idea but I may go again if I need more info...

just answer for example 1) T
          2)F etc.

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »
            Okay just a bit confused so easist thing I can do to get is a true or false quiz. Apologies if it seems rude in any way but I am a mathematician and we strongly dislike ambiguity.

1) When everything is connected nothing turns on not even fans.
            2) when you disconnect either the hardrive OR the Cd Drive it runs.
            3) If either are connected it does not run.
            4) if the CD or HD is connected to the mainboard it boots as long as there is no power to one device.
            5) you have access to the computer to attempt fixes tonight.
            6) It boots if no drives whatsoever are connected.
            7) the hardrive is connected using SATA.
            8) Both computers worked before they became PSU donors.

Ithink that should help me get a better idea but I may go again if I need more info...

just answer for example 1) T
            2)F etc.

1) F. All fans come on
            2) T. When the wide cable is taken off the drives get power and start up
            3)T.
            4) F. If the cd or hd is connected to the mainboard it will Not boot even if it is the only one connected
            5) F. Tomorrow
            6) T. if notheing is connected to the motherboard, they will boot up
            7)F. IDE
            8)T.

No-one

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 02:50:39 PM »
              OKay need to clarify boot up...
              same as before

1) When everything is connected machine turns on and BIOS is available
              2) When 1 or the other is connected computer turns on but I get a blank screen
              3) both CD and Hardrive are on the same IDE cable.

Thanks...

nicks mom

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 02:58:42 PM »
                OKay need to clarify boot up...
                same as before

1) When everything is connected machine turns on and BIOS is available
                2) When 1 or the other is connected computer turns on but I get a blank screen
                3) both CD and Hardrive are on the same IDE cable.

Thanks...

1) no
                2) when I turn it on , I get a black screen, no beeps......nothing
                3) cd and hd are on seperate IDE cables

No-one

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:05:33 PM »
                  OKay

Tommorow can you try and find out
                  1) what watt PSU was in it and the one that is now in it.
                  2) check damage to the IDE cables.
                  3) check jumper settings. espcially check that the Hardrive is set to master.
                  4) Clear the CMOS, (ie remove battery and move jumper if required)

Hang in there. I am sure we can this working....

I should be avaialble form about 2:00pm onwards real time :)... so if you try then..

Out.