Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive Issues!  (Read 2499 times)

ErikSlader

External Hard Drive Issues!
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
Hello, I've been struggling with this on and off for a while now... but basically I have an External Hard Drive (Mad Dog Multimedia) which was previously reformatted to work for a mac which has since died. I now need the External Hard Drive to work on my Windows Xp based laptop (which doesn't have enough free space to clean up space), but can't even get it to show up in 'my computer' and cannot figure out how to reformat it again. I've managed to locate it under 'Computer Management', but can't seem to assign it a Drive Letter or Path.  ??? Please Help!  :-\

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: External Hard Drive Issues!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 03:15:50 PM »
Do you want to save any of the stuff on the drive or just wipe it out and start fresh?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Accessless

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: External Hard Drive Issues!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
Windows will not recognise any storage device without a compatible file system and thus will not assign it a drive letter. If you are able to view the hard drive in computer management then you should have the option of right clicking it and choosing format. Then you can assign a drive letter.