Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Java error????  (Read 7114 times)

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Java error????
    « on: November 18, 2010, 05:04:33 AM »
    After having installed the latest updates of MS and Sun Java, I do get a strange error when using a.o. my bankaccount which runs Java:

It says:

Microsoft JScript Error

and shows:

Expected ')'

this error opens 3x and when I click on OK the 3d time it disappears... ::)

What is this and how do I get rid of it? Java works fine...

Hope this was the right section to put it in?! ::)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Java error????
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 06:07:59 AM »
    Is the problem persistent or not? If its on IE, try unchecking on TOOLS, Internet options, Advanced Tab, "Display a notification about every script error" click apply. Post for any result.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:54:18 AM »
      cool, will do, it's both on IE8 and Opera ::)

uh, its not ticked there, so not active

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:28:49 PM »
      Is the error still frequent?

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:44:22 AM »
        yup, pops up every time Java is involved, 3 clicks and it's gone, men as soon as J is there, the error messages are there

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 04:51:57 AM »
        Do Javascript errors looks like this one? --> http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/javascript/basic/error.html

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 07:40:11 AM »
          nope, its a very small one really and shows as described on top 8)

Microsoft JScript Error

Expected ')'

just as someone wants to mock me...

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 12:03:50 AM »
          Microsoft JScript Error
          If you are using Win xp --> http://computerchimp.com/troubleshooting/microsoft-jscript-compilation-error-expected.html
          Use your IE8 browser for this...

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 04:10:30 AM »
            yeah, had plans to uninstall and reinstall but thought it would have another cause I wasnt aware off...thanks

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 09:50:20 AM »
              and fixed, thanks... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »
              Good job. Appreciate your effort.  :) Mark it solved.

leaderchin99

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »
              Yes, fixed my java error problem, thanks ya.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                « Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »
                and its back again, went ok for several days, but today that stupid little window opened again 8) 8) 8) 8) ??? :'( :'(

question was too: why using update Java TM update 7 when we already have update 22??????????????????? according to:  http://computerchimp.com/troubleshooting/microsoft-jscript-compilation-error-expected.html
                « Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:31:34 PM by Peterwolfe »

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                  « Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:05:49 AM »
                  ANYONE??????????????????????????????? 8) 8) 8) 8) :'(

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
                  You need a new Hobby...
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                    « Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 07:54:01 AM »
                    could be, but up to now still NO solution from the experts here... ::) :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    • Certifications: List
                    • Computer: Specs
                    « Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 08:11:33 AM »
                    I didn't post because your first post makes no sense.

After having installed the latest updates of MS and Sun Java

This is interesting because the MS Java Virtual Machine was discontinued something like 8 years ago. Therefore I'm not sure what you would "update" it to. nonetheless.

I do get a strange error when using a.o. my bankaccount which runs Java:

Alright, cool, so this is a java problem!

It says:

Microsoft JScript Error

and shows:

Expected ')'
                    wut? You're on about java and now you're telling us about JScript errors in the page. They are unrelated.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?
                    It's a script error. That should be rather clear from the title bar. It also has nothing to do with Java, despite your rambling to the contrary. correlation!= causation.

Java works fine...
                    Well... then what the *censored* is the problem?

Sounds to me like whomever designed the bank site did so very poorly, combined with not carefully testing with all browser versions. Personally any bank that uses Java (how very 1996) for the sensitive actions of account management, is something I would stay the heck away from.

Also, whomever wrote the content in the link you gave is talking out their *censored*. JScript/JavaScript is absolutely unrelated in any way to Java. "purging java from your system" is about as likely to fix a JScript/JavaScript error as taking antibiotics is likely to cure HIV.

From the Bug page, which should not be on Java.com for the aforementioned reason that it's not related to java, it could happen with flash as well. nonetheless:

After much testing (ie: IE6, IE7, Multiple Java versions, etc) we have isolated it to be an issue with the newer versions of Java AND having IE configured to use a Proxy PAC file.  I am now able to cause and fix this error at will.

Close all open copies of IE.  In Control Panel go to "Internet Options".  Select the Connections tab and then click the "LAN settings" button.

At the top section of this screen are two settings - "Automatically detect settings" and "Use automatic configuration script".  The second option also has an area where you can type the address of your automatic configuration script (in our case a Proxy Autoconfiguration or .PAC file.

Before you try this, you may wish to save the address of your PAC file so you can put it back the way it originally was before testing.  Now uncheck the "Use automatic configuration script" option (you can leave the "Automatically detect settings" option checked if that is how it is currently set), click OK on both of the open dialog boxes until you are back at Control Panel.

Fire up IE and now try your problem website again - hopefully it should work without the JScript error.  For me - it does every time.  I can break it by turning on the PAC file and I can fix it by turning of the PAC file.  I can even leave the "Use automatic configuration script" option turned on, but give it an address to a non-existent PAC file and it will still work (I guess equivalent to not having a PAC file).

Just as an FYI, we spent quite a bit of time testing the code of the PAC file to ensure that this was not the issue and we have verified it is not - it is an issue between the latest Java versions and the PAC file.  I have tested from V6 Release 3 up to V6 Release 13 and they all produce the same issue.  I had seen some notes that suggested earlier releases of V6 do not have this issue, but in our case my testing disproves this.

Some of the comments in this thread led me to look at the PAC file area - thanks for your hints folks. :-)

For now I will have to create a shortcut which uses a .REG file to unset and set the "Use automatic configuration script" option when required.  At the moment that is feasible because I only have one problem site, but if we were to upgrade our Java on all workstations I can see this issue becoming a major headache, based on the other reports I have read on this issue.

Hopefully Sun can resolve this fairly soon, as I have already spend considerable time on this one, and it seems to have been an outstanding issue for quite a while.  I hope this post is some help to the rest of you.

let me summarize.

The problem is on your bank's end.
                    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                      « Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »
                      now you experts lost me...really....every event on  my PC that starts with a Java-participation shows those little errorwindows and yes one of those is my bank.....but making such a "summarize" is really not understandable....and quite useless too....because after having followed the uninstall and re-install suggestions here, the problem still is occurring or do I have to say re-occurring? ::) ::) :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                        • Yes
                        • Yes
                        • BC-Programming.com
                      • Certifications: List
                      • Computer: Specs
                      « Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »
                      now you experts lost me...really....every event on  my PC that starts with a Java-participation shows those little errorwindows and yes one of those is my bank.....but making such a "summarize" is really not understandable....and quite useless too....because after having followed the uninstall and re-install suggestions here, the problem still is occurring or do I have to say re-occurring? ::) ::) :P

I am of course assuming you don't have IE set to use a Proxy PAC file.
                      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                        « Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 01:18:31 PM »
                        PAC file? I saw the suggestion mentioned in the quoteblock, but what the heck is a Pac-file...lol...pls dont answer, I will find out on the FI...