Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Create a virtual desktop?  (Read 4081 times)

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Create a virtual desktop?
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:37:20 AM »
Can you create a virtual desktop? Now I mean like if you had a other monitor, so with a button (like win key+1/2) you can change to a different desktop, but the programs in the "hidden" desktop are still running.

Why I ask is because my second monitor broke and I'm used to a have games on one, and my work on my other one. I think there are programs out there, but I don't know what programs are good and what are completely junk that works with Win7, any advice would be good.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
Re: Create a virtual desktop?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:33:15 AM »
I'm going to mention virtual desktop software I just found via Google search; I have not used it.  It's called WindowsPager and you can get some info and download it from http://www.windows7.cc/windows-7-software/windows-7-virtual-desktop-manager/.  I suggest you read the user comments at the lower part of that web page; some comments are good, some are bad.  And, at least two alternative programs are mentioned in those comments.

If you try WindowsPager, please let us know how you like it.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:00:49 PM »
Thats not really the thing I was looking for, it was way to clumsy and didn't serve the purposes of a second monitor that I was looking for.

Thanks for replaying tho.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »
Desktops

Not sure if this will work. Most other virtual desktop programs are pretty shoddy in comparison; Desktops uses the windows built in support for multiple desktops instead of emulating it like most. (which is also why it's so small).
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »
Desktops

Not sure if this will work. Most other virtual desktop programs are pretty shoddy in comparison; Desktops uses the windows built in support for multiple desktops instead of emulating it like most. (which is also why it's so small).

It was looking great, but when I change the "desktop"  it stop the programs in the other window.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
I have been using Dexpot which as well as multiple desktop management has other useful things like rolling up windows and minimize-to-tray.