Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: chkdsk and the recovery voume problem running have tried all methods to run  (Read 2556 times)

rece

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    hello
    I have a laptop with windows 7 64 on it nad a program called "diskeeper" now the problem is not with the program it only shows the problem so here is the problem: in diskeeper it shows two volumes a C: drive and a Recovery volume now I can run chkdsk in the C drive however cannot run chkdsk in the recovery volume, (which is about 15 MB) I need to run chkdsk before I can dfrag it, as I get a error that says it needs to run chkdsk before it can be dfraged, I have tried safe mode and chkdsk C: /R/F which runs,but the recovery volume still shows up as not having chkdsk run, so I would appreciate any help at all on this problem thank you, I don't have a operating system cd as it was a download.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Do not defrag the recovery partition. Just ignore it.

And for future reference, chkdsk /r assumes the "f" switch. The correct command is just "chkdsk /r".
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:48:53 AM by Allan »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    There is no reason to either checkdisk or defragment a recovery partition. Since the contents of the drives don't change and are only read when you perform a recovery, errors cannot be introduced, and for the same reason the drive doesn't get fragmented. And even if it did, it would be pointless to defragment it anyway.

This sounds like a case of cargo cult PC optimization.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rece

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      thanks for the help! it is appreciated  very much mark as solved!