Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Live Email 2011  (Read 8622 times)

02bin3

Windows Live Email 2011
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
For the past few days I have been getting emails from various people that have .eml attachments instead of the graphics in the body of the email as has been the case in the past.  On Nov. 18th, I downloaded a large Window's update file from Microsoft that included Windows Live Essentials.   It really is a pain to have to download these files instead of just opening the email and seeing the graphics displayed.  I've gone into my Uninstall or Change Program File and found that Windows Live Essentials 2011 and Windows Live Mesh ActiveX Control for Remote Connections were among the files downloaded on the 18th.  My question is:  Would it be advisable to uninstall Windows Live Email 2011 to stop getting emails with these .eml attachments?  A Bing toolbar was also downloaded at the same time.  Can I uninstall that without causing any problems.  I use Firefox as my browser if that makes a difference.  Thank You,

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows Live Email 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »
Some points in your post do not make sense.  How were you doing email before installing Windows Live Essentials?  After installing Windows Live Essentials, did you then start using the mail component of Windows Live Essentials, Windows Live Mail. for email?  If so, why did you switch to it from your previous method of doing email?

When you say the Bing toolbar was installed, do you mean a toolbar or do you simply mean that Bing was set as the default search engine?  To change the default search engine, just click on the drop-down arrow next to the Bing icon and select a different default search engine. 

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
Soybean, I guess my problem with clarity in my prior question is that I don't have any idea how email programs work.  The extent of my knowledge is that I use Firefox as my browser and Yahoo for email.  Where Windows Live Essentials comes into the equation is a mystery to me.  I was just assuming that the new .eml attachments in some of the emails I receive are related to the Windows Live Essentials 2011 file that I downloaded on Nov. 18th, as I had never seen these attachments previously.  This is what the attachment looked like:     
Fwd: Hummingbird Birth.eml (7KB)

Instead of having the message or graphic in the body of the email, the message/graphic is replaced by this:

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <html><head> <style></style> </head> <body style="FONT-FAMILY:Arial;COLOR:#000000;FONT-SIZE:10pt;" id="role_body" bgColor="#ffffff"> <div><font size="4">Happy Thanksgiving!&nbsp; Sharon and Dave</font></div><font id="role_document" color="#000000" size="2" face="Arial"> <div><font style="BACKGROUND-COLOR:transparent;" color="#000000" size="2" face="Arial"><font size="4"></font>
&nbsp;</div> <div> <blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT:blue 2px solid;PADDING-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;"> <div><strong><font size="4" face="Book Antiqua"></font></strong>
</div><font id="ecxrole_document" color="#000000" size="2" face="Arial"> <div> <blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT:blue 2px solid;PADDING-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;"><font style="BACKGROUND-COLOR:transparent;" color="#000000" size="2" face="Arial"> <div class="ecxMsoNormal"><font color="black" size="3" face="Times New Roman"><span style="COLOR:black;FONT-SIZE:12pt;"></span></font></div> <table class="ecxMsoNormalTable" border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="PADDING-BOTTOM:0in;PADDING-LEFT:0in;PADDING-RIGHT:0in;PADDING-TOP:0in;" vAlign="top"> <div id="ecxyiv1134609865"> <div> <div> <div> <div class="ecxMsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"><span style="FONT-SIZE:12pt;">You have got to see this!&nbsp; Fascinating!</span></font></div> <div> <div> <div> <div class="ecxMsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"><span style="FONT-SIZE:12pt;"></span></font></div></div></div></div> <div> <div> <div> <div> <div> <div> <div> <div> <div> <div> <div> <div class="ecxMsoNormal"><font color="black" size="4" face="Times New Roman"><span style="FONT-STYLE:italic;COLOR:black;FONT-SIZE:13.5pt;">Keep in mind the egg is smaller than a tic tac and a quarter fits the opening of the nest!</span></font><font color="black" size="4"><span style="FONT-STYLE:italic;COLOR:black;FONT-SIZE:13.5pt;">&nbsp;&nbsp;</span></font></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div> <div> <div> <div> <div> <div class="ecxMsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman"><span style="FONT-SIZE:12pt;"></span></font></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div> <div> <div> <div class="ecxMsoNormal"><font color="black" size="4" face="Times New Roman"><span style="COLOR:black;FONT-SIZE:13.5pt;FONT-WEIGHT:bold;">Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the bottom of each page; there are 5 pages &nbsp;in all.
&nbsp;&nbsp;
A lady found a hummingbird nest and got pictures all the way from the egg to leaving the nest.
&nbsp;&nbsp;
It took 24 days from birth to flight.
&nbsp;&nbsp;
Because you&#39;ll probably never in your lifetime see this again, enjoy; and please share.
</span></font>
<font color="black" size="2"><span style="COLOR:black;FONT-SIZE:10pt;">&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span style="FONT-WEIGHT:bold;">CLICK ON BLUE LINK BELOW!
&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>
<a rel="nofollow" title="http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/" target="_blank" href="http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/"><font size="3"><span style="FONT-SIZE:12pt;FONT-WEIGHT:bold;">http://Http://community-2.webtv.net/Velpics/HUM/</span></font>[/url]</span></font></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></td></tr></tbody></table></font></div></font>=</font></div></font></body></html>

I hope this makes it a little easier to understand as I am totally at sea on this problem.  Usually with time, persistence and research I can come up with a fix or atleast understand what the problem is, but this one is perplexing. Thank you for your time.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:59:58 PM »
The extent of my knowledge is that I use Firefox as my browser and Yahoo for email.
OK, so you access your Yahoo email via your web browser.  In that case, Windows Live Essentials has nothing to do with your email; it has nothing to do with attachments to your email.   

For the past few days I have been getting emails from various people that have .eml attachments instead of the graphics in the body of the email as has been the case in the past.
Most likely, this is merely a reflection of how the senders composed their message. 

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »
I am dredging this post up again because I have found a fix for it.  A bit round-about, but it works.  When I receive one of these emails with
 "gobbly-gook" in the body of the email that requires downloading an .eml file, I have found that if I forward it to my old AOL email address and
 then resend it to my Yahoo address the message or picture(s) will come out just fine.  (I knew I'd hung on to that MailBox for some reason.)
I'm still trying to figure out why this all of a sudden happened when no one else on my email list is having the same problem.  But, for the other
person out there who may be looking for a way around it, I figured I would share what I'd found to work.  Thanks again.