Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Epson 1250 photo scanner suddenly stops working  (Read 3829 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Epson 1250 photo scanner suddenly stops working
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:25:48 PM »
I'm trying to help  my brother-in-law here.   He has an Epson 1250 Photo scanner that has been working well  for years.  Suddenly it stops.  Tried re-installing the program and drivers and everytime we try to use it, we get the message  ""this  model not supported by Twain 5". :-\.. So we un-installed the drivers and tried again via Epson Instructions,  now we get the  message "Please install the supported Twain driver". >:(.  Can any body tell me what is going on an how to work the problem??  Thanks for looking guys,  JIM
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

truenorth

Guru

Re: Epson 1250 photo scanner suddenly stops working
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »
    Have you recently (coincident to  this issue arising) changed the computer and/or the operating system that has been associated with this printer? truenorth

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:43:27 AM »
    Have you recently (coincident to  this issue arising) changed the computer and/or the operating system that has been associated with this printer? truenorth

HE (my brother in law) does not remember but he thinks that nothing was changed to cause it to fail.  Then, when it started acting up,  he took it to a local computer shop (where it was built) and they told him that Epson  software was no good and did something to get the scanner functioning again   :P  but it was not working satisfactorily.  What was really not   working was the "Smart Panel"  SO  I unistalled the scanner and then tried  to reinstall it, resulting in the aforementioned symptoms.   >:( My fiddling around made a bad situation   worse.   :'(  I'm stuck with a baaad scanner and an unhappy relative...  JIM

That'l learn me...Durn me.... :-X

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:37:34 AM »
      A number of thoughts occur to me re your last post. Generally it is NOT cost effective to take a scanner (unless it is very high end) into a repair shop as the cost of even looking at it is often higher than a comparable replacement would be. However you probably know that now. When you say you uninstalled  and reinstalled the "drivers and program".How did you do that? Any software should have been uninstalled via the "add/remove programs (unless there is a direct uninstall component to the program from "programs'). One thing you can try is to bring the scanner to another computer--yours for instance--and try a fresh install on it. Things to bear in mind should you do so are to ensure you install (if they are available) the correct drivers for the operating system.and if the computer you install it on already has a device with a scanner you will more than likely have to select it to use it as your computer will likely default to the one that is already installed. The only purpose behind that exercise would be to try and determine IF the scanner will indeed function properly. Generally speaking the problem that is being experienced is related to a change of operating system (which can include an update of a higher "service pack" for that O/S. Such as going from SP 2 in Win XP to SP 3 truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
      he took it to a local computer shop (where it was built) and they told him that Epson  software was no good

Epson software is, I believe you will find, the best software for Epson scanners! Anyhow, this model came out in 2001 (at a price of $99) and it is quite possible that it has reached the end of its life.

He has an Epson 1250 Photo scanner that has been working well  for years.  Suddenly it stops.

Surprise surprise! It is old! Scanners contain mechanical moving parts and they wear out. Tell him to pony up for a new one.

jaythom1969

• Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:19:15 AM »
      I agree. I am a Printer Tech for the next 4 mo's untill our pc deployment z ready to roll. This is a printer that came out of the caves, In my opinion. I believe you may have already wasted a little to much time, I know thats what it takes though in certain cases. These days HP 4525's or 4015's color, or 3015's B&W, (Epson CX5200) are work horses and very fast new model printers. I would rec any of these. Jay/D1/AA.
      Jay

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 06:27:11 AM »
      I agree. I am a Printer Tech for the next 4 mo's untill our pc deployment z ready to roll and that is printer came out of the caves.

This is a scanner we are talking about. You may find that reading the threads more carefully is a good idea.

A printer

A scanner

jaythom1969

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 06:30:37 AM »
      No just stating my opinion. You might read a little closer. I have and  am a printer tech, network and PC tech and I workfor high profile and large fortune 500 company's. Leave my post alone and mind your own. Been doing this to long for a rookie to question me.
      Jay

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 06:34:49 AM »
      No just stating my opinion. You might read a little closer. I have and  am a printer tech, network and PC tech and I workfor high profile and large fortune 500 company's. Leave my post alone and mind your own. Been doing this to long for a rookie to question me.

You are the rookie and your disrespectful and trolling post has been reported. I expect we will soon be saying "goodbye".

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Dribbling Pensioner
      « Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:46:59 AM »
      nice photo's salmon  ;D

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
      I think that you have hit the nail on the head truenorth.  He had recently   downloaded SP3..We connected  it to another computer and it worked fine.  Then, acting on advice from an Epson Forum, I downloaded and ran "DelReg2.5.exe" and Epson Twain 5" on his computer and the scanner now works fine.  :-X who can figure.
      I want to thank you guys for your interest and advice.  You guys are great and I am frequently recomending your site to my "elderly" friends,  thanks again.

Surprise surprise! It is old! Scanners contain mechanical moving parts and they wear out. Tell him to pony up for a new one.

P.S. Goooood idea..  He is now shopping for a  new scanner..  TKS

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »
        A very nice conclusion--glad your back to being able to use the scanner.truenorth

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 11:28:14 PM »
        Bully for you.
        Now, back to reality.
        Evil is an exact science.