Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unknown printer in hardware  (Read 2352 times)

Charlie361

Topic Starter

Rookie

Unknown printer in hardware
    « on: November 28, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
    I hae a Canon MP470 multifunction printer.  there is in the control panel, add hardware, under imaging, a Xerox Proscanner work station.  I have never owned a Xerox product.  I cannot get rid it of nor can anyone else so far.  It kicks out my Canon after a few days and I have to reinstall the Canon driver to get it to work again.  Appears the Commies install something in the printers they make for us so as to be able to access our computers at times.  I received the below from a retired Comunications Security Tech who specialized in preventing unauthorized entry into Govt. communications.  He states Canon and HP are big sources of this tap.  My Canon was new two years ago this month.

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?    :'(

I searched US-CERT (the Homeland Security Website) and discovered in 2008 there were problems with multiple
    Canon Printers.  I'm not sure how old yours is.  Here is the scoop on the 2008 Canon problem:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++US-CERT+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Canon -- imagePRESS
    Canon -- i-SENSYS
    Canon -- imageRUNNER
    The FTP print feature in multiple Canon printers, including imageRUNNER and imagePRESS,
    allow remote attackers to use the server as an inadvertent proxy via a modified PORT command, aka FTP bounce.
    unknown
    2008-02-28

6.4 CVE-2008-0303
    OTHER-REF
    OTHER-REF
    CERT-VN

The basic problem with Multi-function printers.  Especially those made in China or Vietnam is they are an ideal
    place to install remote internet routines.  The multifunction printer has a send/receive function that allows it to contact the
    Internet independantly of the PC itself. (When you install the printer software your Internet Security Program makes
    it either Low Restricted or "Trusted")  A "trusted" application or device is an easy end-around for your installed security system
    and firewall.  We have to remember the Chinese and Vietnamese are good friends. (still)  They would like nothing better than to sock it to the U.S. Cyberwise.  The sad part of this is the Canon and HP people are participants by default.

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Unknown printer in hardware
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:00:34 PM »
    Wha...?
    Evil is an exact science.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Unknown printer in hardware
    « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:07:17 PM »
    Now I understand.
    Over half of my equipment is HP/Compaq or Cannon.

I keep getting these strangle e-mails from China.  :rofl: