Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue Screen Error on New Hard Drive with new OS Installation  (Read 4041 times)

daizychainz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
Blue Screen Error on New Hard Drive with new OS Installation
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:39:51 AM »
Hi, I recently replaced the hard drive in my boyfriends laptop, the hard drive was 100% healthy. I Installed a fresh copy of Vista and everything was running swimmingly. I installed a few programmes but nothing sinister, ccleaner, firefox, nero, just the usual suspects. The laptop did loads of updating which was to be expecting considering the new installation of vista. But then I encountered a problem where every time I opened something, like the web browser or even task manager, the programme would open for a few seconds and then close down when you went to click something. I rebooted in hope it would rectify it'self but upon restart encountered a blue screen error. I tried to reboot in safe mode, again encountering the blue screen error.

I tried F9 hoping to be given the startup repair options but that option was missing from the list, so I ran the vista disc and initialized startup repair from the disc. It recognised there were problems and told me it was attempting repairs. Once the startup repair and finished the laptop rebooted to another blue screen. I ran the vista disc again, ran the startup repair again. Once startup repair had run it told me this time that it could not repair the problem. I then tried system restore which failed on two occasions.

I ended up formatting the hard drive and installing another fresh copy of vista.

Everything appears to be ok again now. But I would like to get to the bottom of what happened to prevent it happening again. Luckily it was a new install of vista last time and I hadn't had chance to save anything important on there. I don't want it to happen again if I can help it.

The last change that was made to the computer before the blue screen would have been the installation of service pack 2. Would that have been the problem? Should I advoid installing it this time?

Many Thanks
daizychainz - I can break any computer just by looking at it!

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Blue Screen Error on New Hard Drive with new OS Installation
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
1) Did you install all drivers starting with the chipset driver?
2) You did not mention installing an anti virus utility. Did you?

daizychainz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:52:57 AM »
No I didn't install any drivers, except for when I first started it up on the previous vista installation I couldn't get an internet connection, I did install drivers then but still couldn't get it to work and ended up putting a different LAN card which worked right away. I thought that just installing the vista updates would update all the drivers?

I have got avast here, the paid for internet security version which I was about to install but didn't get round to last time. I installed that straight away this time!

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »
After formatting and installing the OS do the following immediately:

1) Install chipset driver (first), then drivers for all other cards (video, audio, etc) as required. You should download these drivers and save them to an off-disk medium before installing the OS so you are ready to go.

2) Install an Anti Virus Utility BEFORE GOING ONLINE

3) Then you can install all MS Updates and anything else you like.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:56:24 AM »
Windows Updates is the most innefficient method for obtaining Drivers.
Whenever you re-install all drivers are wiped out ...they need to be re-installed after the OS is done.

Granted many native drivers are included on a new install of Windows but as you are finding out most are generic in scope and may not run all devices properly.

Your best choice for drivers is and always will be the manuf. site...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

daizychainz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »
OK. Thanks guys. So the blue screen error would have been most likely to do with drivers? I think the only websites my boyfriend went on would have been probably facebook and email, and I would have gone on ccleaner and firefox websites to download their stuff. I very much doubt it was a virus.

It is an emachines laptop so would the best place to go for the drivers be their website? Or would it be Acer website? Or is there a 3rd party website I should use?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:50 AM »
First of all, websites have very little to do with getting a virus (okay yes, there ARE malicious websites - but for the purpose of this post I'm assuming they are not a factor in this case). All you need to do is be connected to the internet and your system is exposed to MANY viruses - especially if you do not have a router or firewall. DO NOT GO ONLINE WITHOUT AN AV INSTALLED.

Second, without knowing the exact blue screen error there's no way to know what caused it.

Last, yes - go to the website of the system manufacturer for the chipset driver. If it's a laptop you should get ALL drivers there. If it's a desktop you can get the drivers for the video and sound cards from the websites of the card manufacturers.

daizychainz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 10:26:01 AM »
OK. Noted! Thanks for the advice guys.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 10:26:52 AM »
You're welcome.