Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dialup Internet suddenly stopped working - can ping - but no web/email/IM  (Read 2737 times)

lte5000

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi,

This Windows XP SP2 desktop PC is connected to the Internet through a dialup connection.
    The dialup connection connects just fine, but I have no Internet access while connected.
    Other computers using the same dialup settings are still working great.

The owner states the problem began after a computer game crash and subsequent hard reboot.

I tried IE, Firefox, Messenger, Thunderbird, etc.
    All these programs fail instantly when attempting to connect, like they don't recognize that there is an Internet connection.

I can ping Internet IP addresses, but I can't ping site names like www.google.com.
    I cannot connect to an IP address with IE, so this does not appear to be just a DNS problem.

This dialup connection uses a proxy server (filter.voicenet.com:8241).
    I have verified the proxy settings for the dialup connection are correct in IE and Firefox.
    I have reset the TCP/IP stack.
    I also ran the Winsock XP fix tool.

Norton was installed, but I ran the Norton Removal tool to completely remove the software.
    Windows Firewall is disabled.
    No other security software is installed as far as I can tell.

I'm open to any ideas...

Thanks for your time,

Kendall

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dialup Internet suddenly stopped working - can ping - but no web/email/IM
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »
    I would run an repair or clean install and start fresh if you need this up and running correctly quickly. Otherwise if you want to find out exactly what is wrong you can plug away at IE repair utility and other areas where the problem could be. I'd personally just start fresh by a repair install or clean build, as for it will fix all software problems!

lte5000

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Dialup Internet suddenly stopped working - can ping - but no web/email/IM
      « Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »
      Thanks for the reply.
      That is the course of action I will most likely be taking.

Kendall