Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot access Program File. Access is denied.  (Read 4161 times)

gnewhart

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Cannot access Program File. Access is denied.
    « on: December 11, 2010, 07:59:10 AM »
    I had trouble with opening many of my programs and the icons on my desktop had a key (microsoft access) next to them. I was told I might have a bad area on my hard drive (C).
    I reformatted my C drive, reloaded my software and all is well except: When I try to open Program Files I get the message in the subject line. My experience level is beginner. It took all I had and some good advice to reformat drive and reload.

Any advice you give me please make it simple. I have an HP Pavillion DV5000 laptop, 4 and 1/2 years old and run Microsoft Windows XP home edition. Not sure of service pak info but if you need this to diagnose let me know how to find it and I will supply. Everything is working well on my computer except this but i would like to keep my programs in the program file rather than spread out in the C drive.

Thank you for your help!!
    Glenn
    ps If I need to sign in as systems administrator I do not know how to do that.

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Cannot access Program File. Access is denied.
      « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 05:15:20 PM »
      Happy Holidays n Welcome to our forum.

Posting is not very clear, but it sounds like a permission issue.
      It would help a lot to post the exact warning or error. This will let us help u more. 
      Did u validate Windows? Is the Win CD a genuine Windows CD?

Lets try to start u in Safe Mode to see if we can get u into a new Admin account.

1- reboot PC as soon as it starts, start pressing F8 Key.

This will not load Windows and give u some option. Choose Safe Mode with Network. Windows will start to load just follow the directions. Once Window starts it will load only enough to get started. There's not much u r going to damage at this stage. All we want to do is here is create 2 new accounts. One new Administrator account and one Regular account (with Administrator privileges).  U can name the new accounts anything u want. Just remember which one is the new Admin account and the regular account. To create the new account:
      Go to >Start>Control Panel>User Accounts> Select new accounts. Name each account, u will want to create a Computer Admin and a Limited user account.

When done just reboot and Windows will load with the 2 new accounts u just created.

2- Log on with the new Admin account and see if u get the same message.

If u do, post the exact message on the next thread.

3- the regular account should also be tested. Once again see if u get the same message. If different post the message.
      Write back let us know.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: Cannot access Program File. Access is denied.
      « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »
      Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html