Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Activation  (Read 3976 times)

SoulFire

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Windows XP Activation
    « on: August 08, 2005, 04:32:17 PM »
    I just recently formatted and reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition on my computer, but since I've already used up my activation keys limit of how many times I can activate it, it keeps on begging for a new one.  I already activated it before, which was the first time I installed it... so do I have to do it again?  What will happen if I don't?  Do I have to phone the Customer Service to do it?  

merlin_2

Re: Windows XP Activation
    « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 04:35:21 PM »
    Its this a full version of winxp! or dvd/ disk recovery!

More info>http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Activation - Workaround (Ronnie Vernon MVP)

If you are doing a repair reinstall of XP on the same hardware, you can back up the activation status and then restore it after you run the repair install of the OS. To save the activation status, back up the wpa.dbl file from the %systemroot%\system32 folder to a floppy disk.

After the repair install of the OS is complete, start in Minimal Safe mode. Open the \%systemroot%\system32 folder.  Rename wpa.dbl to wpa.noact. Copy the backed up wpa.dbl file to the system32 folder. Reboot your system.

This isn't a hack to avoid activating installations and will work only on the same hardware for an XP installation that you've already activated.
    « Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 04:55:48 PM by merlin_2 »

SoulFire

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:23:35 PM »
      Does this mean I have to redo the installation?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 12:26:40 AM »
        SoulFire......Try this .....click start / all programs/accessories/system tools ..........now click on activate windows   .............if it says Windows is already activated just click ok ......... and your done .......
        When you entered the 25 digit product key code ....was it accepted ok ?
        So you have only loaded XP once before and it activated ok ?

let us know

dl65  ::)
        « Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 12:28:05 AM by dl65 »
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 08:02:33 AM »
        Quite brilliant, that, Merlin!

iammichael5

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 08:08:09 AM »
        You need the backup e:\windows\system32\wpa.dll
        format and install xp and restore it

SoulFire

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 08:50:57 AM »
          To dl65: It tells me I need a different product key because the number of times I have to activate the product has been exceeded, which has been once and only once before.  

To merlin_2: Repair installation... does this just mean I just slip the XP Disc in and go Upgrade, or do I have to boot the CD when the computer starts up to do the repair?  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 11:41:25 AM »
            SoulFire.....Thats really odd.........If you are installing the O/S on the same pc which it originally came installed on ......you shouldnt have any problems ......however if it is on a differant pc or you have made significant changes to the hardware configuration on that machine ....you should phone Microsoft and explain that to them.

dl65  ::)
            If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 12:33:28 PM »
            To dl65: It tells me I need a different product key because the number of times I have to activate the product has been exceeded, which has been once and only once before.

Which may be once too many. Contact Microsoft and explain your problem.

SoulFire

Topic Starter

Rookie
            • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
              « Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 04:32:44 PM »
              OK.  Got it.  Toll-free number of course!

Edit: Actually, I'll explain it more clear this time.  I bought an upgrade of Windows XP Home Edition to upgrade the Windows 98 I had.  It wasn't originally installed on the computer; I had to do it myself, of course.  

But if phoning is the thing to do, so be it.  
              « Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 04:35:27 PM by SoulFire »

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 04:39:54 PM »
              OK.  Got it.  Toll-free number of course!

When I tried to phone the number where they charge you per minute, I could not get a hold of anyone.

Be prepared to enter your product key when you phone Microsoft. It will tell you if it has been disabeled or not. If it has been disabeled, you will be put through to a Microsoft employee. If it has not been disabeled, you will then have activated your copy.

But if phoning is the thing to do, so be it.

If your product key has been blocked, you should always immediatly call Microsoft technical support to rectify the situation.