Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Your in the market for a new computer - which one would you buy?

Microsoft Windows based
0 (0%)
Apple Based
2 (100%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Deleting CORRUPT and/or UNREADABLE files AND Power & Lock-up problems  (Read 6556 times)

Doc_Vibe

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
December 22, 2010, 9:29 AM

I have 2 problems that I’m going to need help to resolve. Many thanks to all who respond in advance.

First: - I have 3 files on my  hard drive that I want to delete but are CORRUPT and/or UNREADABLE.

Second: - I have a computer ‘Lock-Up’ problem that has recently started to haunt me. I have recently moved to this house and have not had these problems before I moved here. I should let you know as well that the only other program that I have downloaded since the problems have started is [BearShare] A program for downloading music and videos which resides at:
"C:\Program Files\BearShare Applications\BearShare\BearShare.exe"

Some background about myself: I have been working with computers ever since the Atari 2600 days. (I know, I’m old - LOL) I ran three of the original Bulletin board Systems (BBS) in the Niagara area back in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s on an Atari 130XE using a 300 baud modem through the phone lines well before the advent of the internet. When I built this computer back in July of 2005 I bought each individual piece (Tower, Power supply, mother board, CPU, and Hard drives... etc.) it has given me reliable, virtually problem free service. Except for the proverbial Microsoft headaches.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Information Summery
-------------------------------------

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   DOC
System Manufacturer   To Be Filled By O.E.M. by More String
System Model   To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type     X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. 1012.002, 3/22/2004
SMBIOS Version   2.3
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name   DOC\DocVibe
Time Zone   Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory   1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory   956.09 MB
Total Virtual Memory   2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory   1.96 GB
Page File Space   3.58 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys

If you need more info on the computer, I will readily make that info available.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First: - I have 3 files on my  hard drive that I want to delete but are CORRUPT and/or UNREADABLE. They are as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\DocVibe\Application Data\Rogers Online Protection\Rogers Servicepoint Agent\SoftwareDetectionScripts\RpsDetection.js

C:\Documents and Settings\DocVibe\Application Data\Rogers Online Protection\Rogers Servicepoint Agent\SoftwareDetectionScripts\SA_RecSc.js

C:\Documents and Settings\DocVibe\Application Data\Rogers Online Protection\Rogers Servicepoint Agent\SoftwareDetectionScripts\SADetection.js

I downloaded [Mats_Run.winfilefolder.exe] From [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246026] With the [FireFox - Version 3.6.13] Browser to fix a problem. After I D/L the program I tried to install it and this is the msg that popped up about 1 min. into the install  process.

[Fix it Troubleshooter can not continue because an error occurred

We’re sorry, but PowerShell failed to install - Please try again later.]

So I abandoned that.

With nothing else running on my computer except for this word processor (Microsoft Works 2000 - word) (in order to type this message) I have ran [CHKDSK] which abruptly ends and shuts itself down after completing the second faze of the process. I have ran [CHKDSK] several times with the same results.

So I abandoned that.

I bought ‘UniBlue’ <---(Company name) ‘SpeedUpMyPC’  and ‘RegistryBooster’ which work beautifully and do their job thoroughly. So I have faith that they did, in fact, do their jobs properly. Then I downloaded and ran a program called ‘Unlocker’ which failed to delete or re-name the files.

So I abandoned that.

I went through the ‘Registry’ manually and deleted everything associated with ‘Rogers’ and ‘Yahoo’ (hoping to cut some ties to these programs in order to delete them manually through common practices (Windows Explorer - right click - delete command and rename command )). which failed to delete or re-name these files.

So I abandoned that.

===============================================

The second Problem is that my computer will ‘Lock-Up’ completely leaving me no other choice but to power down the computer by via the power switch located on the back of the computer tower, and re-boot. I can hear an audible ‘CLICK’ just before it Locks-up on me. It’s not a loud click but more of a faint, single click. So in that regard I believe that it is a mechanical problem rather than a chip problem or mother-board problem due to the click sound. When I hear the ‘click’ I am able to move the mouse around on the screen for a few seconds before it locks up, but not able to do anything with it. I cannot click on anything or highlight anything. I thought is was the hard drive over-heating, so I took the hard drive out of the tower and it now resides on top of the tower so it can stay a lil cooler and I can monitor the heat at will.

When I hear the ‘CLICK’ sound, I’m paying attention to the surrounding happenings in the house in which I live and I have noticed that sometimes the power will spike (I.E. - the furnace will kick in) and the spike will dim the lights a bit for a quick second and then I hear the ‘CLICK’, but then again at other times, there is nothing happening that I can noticeably associate with a power problem. When this problem first started, I had the power cord for the computer plugged directly in the wall socket of the house. I have now added a power bar with surge protector between the wall socket and the computer, yet I’m still having the ‘Lock-Up’ problem.

I am keeping my eye on schedulers that may be effecting the computer, but can’t really keep track if that is a cause or not. Is there a program that will keep track of what is going with the computer so I can go back and pin point what was happening at the time of the ‘Lock-Up’?

I have the [Windows Task Manager] running so I can keep track of the CPU usage at the time of the ‘Lock-Up’ and it does not seem to be max-ed out by any means. It is busy, but not totally. It’s usually around 50% usage when the ‘Lock-Up’ happens. Any suggestions to either or both of these problems will be gratefully appreciated.

I hope I have not beaten this thing like a dead horse or been overly descriptive but I believe the more information you have, the better idea you have about what’s going on so you may be able to help me with solving these problems.

Many, many thanks in advance to all who can contribute.

God Bless

Doc

OHHHHHH!!! Major up-date here. Just had the entire computer shut down on me without warning. Complete power down. I reiterate, I have the covers off the sides of the tower so I can see inside and the mother board power light is still on yet I had this complete power down happen. Puzzling. I’m leaning in the direction of a power supply now but it is back up and running again. Hmmmmmm!!!

When the computer power failure happened, I let it sit for a moment while I inspected the internals of the computer tower and felt around to see if anything was excessively hot. Not that I could tell anyway. I then tried to reboot the computer from the front panel power button as per norm and when I did that the power LED and the hard drive LED lit up then died again immediately. I then inspected the power supply more closely and found that it was not overly hot or smoking and appeared to be fine visually. Thank God! I let it sit for about ten mins. then tried to reboot again. the same thing happened. The power LED and the hard drive LED lit up then died again immediately. I let it sit longer while inspecting every little thing in the tower and found nothing to be out of the norm. I then tried to reboot once again and low and behold I am typing the rest of this message. Such strange goings on!

Let all things be done decently and in order - 1 Cor. 14:40

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Deleting CORRUPT and/or UNREADABLE files AND Power & Lock-up problems
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:21:27 PM »
Hello. Yeah I am old too.
You have more taht one problem. Maybe one lead to the other.
Do you have anothern PC?  Usi to download and vurn to  burn a bott CD for hardware diagnostics.And no, don't buy anything. They are FREE.

Bootable CDs & Diagnostic Tools

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »
First welcome to the forum :)

First: - I have 3 files on my  hard drive that I want to delete but are CORRUPT and/or UNREADABLE.
First, try Unlocker Had to go with filehippo since the homepage for it (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/) appears to be down/showing an error.

Oh wait, I see you tried that. There are a number of alternatives listed here.

[BearShare]
"C:\Program Files\BearShare Applications\BearShare\BearShare.exe"
[/quote]
Bearshare is one of those P2P programs infested with spyware/malware designed to track what you download. I can't remember the specifics but I remember it was something to avoid.
I have ran [CHKDSK] which abruptly ends and shuts itself down after completing the second faze of the process. I have ran [CHKDSK] several times with the same results.

if you are running it from Start->Run it will close immediately when the application finishes- in this case, the moment chkdsk would normally take you back to the prompt it closes (since there is no prompt to return to, as it was started directly from the Start->Run dialog)

I bought ‘UniBlue’ <---(Company name) ‘SpeedUpMyPC’  and ‘RegistryBooster’ which work beautifully and do their job thoroughly. So I have faith that they did, in fact, do their jobs properly.
Registry Cleaners do nothing but free up some space in your wallet:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=77609.0

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=99430.0

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=104141.0

Reply #9 here is  a tome of a collection:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=107595.0

(I break temporarily to wonder aloud if it's your word processor that is inserting the strange assemblages of characters into your post, and the hyphens)

The second Problem is that my computer will ‘Lock-Up’ completely leaving me no other choice but to power down the computer by via the power switch located on the back of the computer tower, and re-boot. I can hear an audible ‘CLICK’ just before it Locks-up on me. It’s not a loud click but more of a faint, single click. So in that regard I believe that it is a mechanical problem rather than a chip problem or mother-board problem due to the click sound. When I hear the ‘click’ I am able to move the mouse around on the screen for a few seconds before it locks up, but not able to do anything with it. I cannot click on anything or highlight anything. I thought is was the hard drive over-heating, so I took the hard drive out of the tower and it now resides on top of the tower so it can stay a lil cooler and I can monitor the heat at will.
Try running chkdsk C: /r, answering the prompts to unmount and then to schedule the disk check, and reboot. It will take a couple of hours for chkdsk to finish the boot-time scan it will perform, at least, so be sure to set aside some time for that.

When I hear the ‘CLICK’ sound, I’m paying attention to the surrounding happenings in the house in which I live and I have noticed that sometimes the power will spike (I.E. - the furnace will kick in) and the spike will dim the lights a bit for a quick second and then I hear the ‘CLICK’, but then again at other times, there is nothing happening that I can noticeably associate with a power problem. When this problem first started, I had the power cord for the computer plugged directly in the wall socket of the house. I have now added a power bar with surge protector between the wall socket and the computer, yet I’m still having the ‘Lock-Up’ problem.
Computers are far more sensitive to electronic disturbances, and unless you got a rather expensive surge protector it's unlikely to adequately filter the problem. Bearing in mind that the hard disk is the only mechanical component that could cause a click noise, it sounds like maybe your power supply could be having trouble (really it shouldn't EVER allow the computer to operate at all in power outside the tolerances, and it sounds like given the symptoms that may be what is happening.
I am keeping my eye on schedulers that may be effecting the computer, but can’t really keep track if that is a cause or not. Is there a program that will keep track of what is going with the computer so I can go back and pin point what was happening at the time of the ‘Lock-Up’?

Process Monitor.

Normally, Process monitor keeps all it's log data backed by the pagefile, so you won't really be able to get to it when you restart. However, you can get it to store the file elsewhere by selecting File->Backing Files and then entering a filename in the "Use File Named" box (after selecting the Option Button first) with any luck the next time you have the problem and are forced to reboot you should be able to reopen that backing file with process monitor, scroll to the bottom and see exactly what the last action was.
OHHHHHH!!! Major up-date here. Just had the entire computer shut down on me without warning. Complete power down. I reiterate, I have the covers off the sides of the tower so I can see inside and the mother board power light is still on yet I had this complete power down happen. Puzzling. I’m leaning in the direction of a power supply now but it is back up and running again. Hmmmmmm!!!

When the computer power failure happened, I let it sit for a moment while I inspected the internals of the computer tower and felt around to see if anything was excessively hot. Not that I could tell anyway. I then tried to reboot the computer from the front panel power button as per norm and when I did that the power LED and the hard drive LED lit up then died again immediately. I then inspected the power supply more closely and found that it was not overly hot or smoking and appeared to be fine visually. Thank God! I let it sit for about ten mins. then tried to reboot again. the same thing happened. The power LED and the hard drive LED lit up then died again immediately. I let it sit longer while inspecting every little thing in the tower and found nothing to be out of the norm. I then tried to reboot once again and low and behold I am typing the rest of this message. Such strange goings on!
Hmm, given the info provided I'd guess it could also be the CPU overheating (try running a tool like Speedfan and see what it says when the freeze occurs).
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Doc_Vibe

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »
OK - Wheeeeeeeeeew!!! I have done a TON of reading today. I clicked every link and read every thread - uh, and then some. I especially like the "Bus-jumper" analogy, that was, as you said, Funny - to say the least. Believe me I have gotten an education today on several subjects and a few I've never even heard of before. Anyhow, I have D/L Process Monitor & SpeedFan. Let me know what info you need and how to capture it and I'll send it along. I really do appreciate the help you are giving me on all of this. I'll say an extra prayer for you tonight.
if you are running it from Start->Run it will close immediately when the application finishes- in this case, the moment chkdsk would normally take you back to the prompt it closes (since there is no prompt to return to, as it was started directly from the Start->Run dialog) 
- Is there a way, in Windows XP, to get to a DOS Prompt without going through the Start button so I can run CHKDSK with the proper switches? I believe it is the ( r/ ) switch.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »
to run chkdsk and still be able to view the output, normally you would run CMD from the start->run and enter the chkdsk command at the prompt presented. However, it wouldn't really be necessary with the /r switch- it'll present the two prompts (usually one to ask if you'd like to dismount and another saying it can't check it and wether to schedule it for the next system restart) after that it doesn't actually do any checking of disks (which makes it's name sort of a lie, heh)- it instead schedules a check for the next reboot (thus the reboot step being required).

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:16:16 PM »
Try running chkdsk /r from the recovery console.

If you really want to check your hard disk run a diagnostics tool from the hard drive manufacturer.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
IMHO uniblue is carp...
I'd consider getting rid of it at your earliest convienence.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
IMHO uniblue is carp...
Ditto

Doc_Vibe

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
IMHO uniblue is carp...

From what I've read today about the Registry Fixers, I agree 100%. What about the Speed up my PC program? What would you suggest in it's place, if anything?

=======================================================================================

Try running chkdsk /r from the recovery console.
JJ 3000  I'm not familiar with the recovery console. What is it and where do I find it?

=======================================================================================

BC_P - Do you still want the data from Process Monitor & SpeedFan?
I had another power failure, but was unable to capture any data due to not shutting the program down and rebooting it again to invoke the new Backing Files log. I have since fixed that error.

God Bless

Doc

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »
I'm not familiar with the recovery console. What is it and where do I find it?

It's on your XP CD.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000627.htm
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 12:40:27 AM »
I'm going to divert slightly here and ask an open question- why do people constantly say to run chkdsk from the recovery console? It's the same bloody program in the recovery console as it is in the actual windows program- well, not identically, it does have a few weird new switches and whatnot, but it performs the same task entirely; running chkdsk /r from the recovery console is absolutely no different then running it from windows and then rebooting and performing it during boot. The recovery console is painted as this magical pixie fairy land where programs have this magical ability to perform vastly different actions than their windows counterparts that are functionally identical. Unless you need to perform some sort of Recovery, you don't run the recovery console. I mean, think about it, it's even in the bloody name! recovery console, hmm, perhaps we should only run it for something involving a recovery of some sort, like, say, fixboot, or fixmbr, and a few other kinky functions that barely anybody runs.

What about the Speed up my PC program? What would you suggest in it's place, if anything?

Nothing. In fact, the very concept of a application program to speed up your PC is absurd. It's basically the software equivalent of putting flame decals on the side of your car. Sure, you have this application that almost certainly has flashy visuals (why are these booster programs always skinned? None of them use the freaking default windows themes! And half og them just look like a freaking tootsie roll pop exploded on your screen. Anyway it's clear with most of them that they spent about four-fifths of the budget hiring bums off the street to draw icons that go against all UI guidelines as well as hiring blind incontinent ninjas to design the User Interface setup.

For example- compare a few applications- Malware-bytes, for example, is a very good malware removing tool that is often considered one of the best. It uses the standard window themes- the ones the user has chosen- you know, like any sane windows programmer should. compare that to Uniblue, or system mechanic "We don't care if the user chose certain user interface colours or what colours they chose! We will present them not with a standard windows theme-default skinned window, but instead we will create our own uniquely designed user interface that tries to capture the essence of elephant piss."

I mean, OK, some of the "good" programs do seem to skin their applications (I think superanti-spyware does, but to be honest that's the only one that comes to mind) Then look at the features of the operating system compared to many of these "booster" products.

Windows XP: built in defragmenter and disk checker

System mechanic: a defragmenter that uses made-up technologies and in fact just calls into the OS to defrag, and a disk checker, a UI designed by a A blind midget Jerry Lewis wearing a top hat (yes, my comparisons are starting to make 0 sense, it's what I do), and so forth.

Basically, none of the "features" of many of these programs are much better then the OS versions, and their User Interfaces should make you question wether you might actually have accidentally ingested LSD recently.

BC_P - Do you still want the data from Process Monitor & SpeedFan?
I had another power failure, but was unable to capture any data due to not shutting the program down and rebooting it again to invoke the new Backing Files log. I have since fixed that error.
if possible, just keep it running in the background, so that you'll be able to get a capture that get's the last few events. Process Explorer isn't very useful in this case, though.

However, a hard freeze like this is almost always (in my experience) caused by a hard drive problem- either that, or a hardware problem, which would hardly be reflected in the actions taken by software that process monitor logs.

Doc_Vibe

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 03:42:39 PM »
Hey BC_P  How do I "Insert Image" from the tools provided here?

I have the pic on my Desk Top, I just need to upload it here. It's a JPG - 436 KB (446,464 bytes)

Doc

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »
There should be an "additional options" link below the post box, clicking it expands a section that has an Attachment box.

if it's too big to put there you would need to use something like photobucket or imageshack. (max size is 700K so should be fine)

Doc_Vibe

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
Oh yeah - I almost forgot what I was going to post here - lol

Yeah, I'll give ya peak at my HD. I'm really liking this SpeedFan thing.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Doc_Vibe

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
Can I post more than one pic in a post?

I have 6 JPG's that I would like to post and don't want to overload the either system if it can't handle more than one file at a time. They are all around the 350 kb mark.

Doc