Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cooling System Warning  (Read 6652 times)

jaums

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Cooling System Warning
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:45:24 AM »
Suddenly began getting a pop-up warning: "System Warning  A problem with the cooling system has been detected.  Please turn off the computer immediately and return it for service."

It's a 2 month old Toshiba Satellite S655D.  I had to return it once for them to replace the harddrive.  I notice from the Toshiba Health Monitor that came on the machine, that the fan doesn't come on until the CPU temp is at 48%, then it comes on & runs at 40 -60% until the CPU drops.  If it drops too far, the fan goes off.  As the CPU temp goes up the warning pops up.  Eventually, at around 48% CPU, the fan comes on again.  So, either the fan is waiting too long to come on or the warning is set to pop up too soon.

Toshiba wants me to send it in again for service, but reading on the Toshiba forum   http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Technology/Laptop-cooling-fan-constantly-on/td-p/135754  , there are others with cooling problems, mostly that the fan runs continuously at 90 or 100% creating an unacceptable level of noise.  The conclusion on that forum is that it's a BIOS issue.

I have received the shipping box from Toshiba, but don't want to be without the machine for 3 weeks again, if 48% is not dangerous and a BIOS update they will eventually come up with will fix the issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jaums

Salmon Trout

Re: Cooling System Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
Don't pay attention to people on forums. (Except this one, of course!) Anyhow their problems sound different. Send it back. It already had hardware problems and may need more attention. It's under warranty and if it goes belly-up you'll be without it for weeks anyway and you may find you voided your warranty by ignoring the warnings. Alternatively, don't send it back, but pray a lot. It's your computer, your choice.