Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer making wierd "beeping" noises  (Read 27310 times)

Temporal

Computer making wierd "beeping" noises
« on: June 24, 2004, 06:16:07 AM »
I dont know how to discribe the sound i'm hearing but beeping seems the best way to describe it.
However this beeping noises isnt the same beeps i hear when i get a system error.
The beeping noises are completely random and start and stop when certain aplications are being run, mostly games.

I first encounted this noises a few months ago when i installed a program that was supposed to scan your system and display your specifications at a detailed level and such, and contained many other misc functions.
When i used it to run a scan my computer started creating that wierd beeping noises consistently and would only stop when i restarted it.i uninstalled the program quickily and unfortunately i do not remember the name.

now months after that incident my computer started creating these beeping noises again, which was after turned off 3D sound settings in a game called "Freelancer" to fix a sound problem i had where alot of the sound would skip.

the beeping sound would only come when i played that game so i stopped. however recently it started to spread.
it made beeping sounds while i was running diskcleanup as well, and now almost every game i play i encounter this sound, games like Halo, counterstrike etc.

i also noticed that my sound would get distorted/skipped whenever the beeping sound came.

the beeping sound seems to come from either my harddisk or my motherboard, which ever i am not sure.

i would greatly apreciate any help on this problem.

my system specifications are

Gigabyte P4 titan 865E motherboard
Onboard sound Realtek AC'97 Audio
512MB RDRAM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB
256MB Saphire Radeon 9800 XT Atlantis
P4 3.06ghz with HT

Raptor

Re: Computer making wierd "beeping" nois
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 06:21:03 AM »
What was the program called that you used to detect your system's components?

I used PC Wizard 2004 a while ago and immediatly, my temperature rose with at least 10 degrees celcius, causing my heat sensors to go wack and not stop beeping until I had reset.

What is your CPU and case temperature and what are your temperature tresholds?

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 06:33:24 AM »
What is RD-RAM by the way? Is that the RAM with cooling sinks?

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 06:44:51 AM »

Temporal

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 06:51:43 AM »
I believe Sandra was the name of the program, its supposed to be quite popular, guess it just screws up my machine some how.

I believe Rdram is Rambus Dram.

Could it be possible that my heat sensors are damaged and are beeping randomly?
I am quite sure my computer is not creating those noises due to overheating, also it only comes totally randomly when i run certain aplications, mostly games.

also when the beeping comes my sound skips and gets distorted.

could it be my onboard sound?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 07:10:15 AM »
I use Sisoft Sandra as well, I have not encountered any problems with this program that caused 'beeping noises'

I donot think I can help you, when your kind of problem happens to me, it is usually my temperature rising above the set thresholds.

chade

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 07:28:43 AM »
Raptor could be on the right track.  Beeping sounds can be made by your motherboard when you have (in the PC Health Status section of the BIOS) your system set to warn you when it's overheating.  Most commonly overheating will occur when your PC is stressed.  The heat overload is measured at the processor.  The beeps are regular, measured beeps, same sound, always the same space apart.  Your computer may well be experiencing problems at the same time - this is quite normal when your PC is overheating (and the beeping mechanism itself may cause problems - its not MEANT to be beeping - that's a warning to shutdown and fix the problem).

This idea fits the pattern of your problem - firstly running Sisoft Sandra caused the problem (SS taxes your system considerably), then it appeared when running taxing 3D games, then less taxing games, and disk cleanup...indicating if this is the cause the problem is getting worse.  Given your processor is a very high clocked processor, this also fits the pattern.

Either install a temperature monitoring utility (such as Motherboard Monitor) available at http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html to see if you are running too hard, or run your system til it beeps then immediately reboot into the BIOS and check the processor temperature (under PC Health Status).  You could also do a manual check (run your PC hard, bring your hand close to but NOT TOUCHING the heat sink on your processor - if it's hot enough to beep, it's hot enough to burn.  If via any of these methods you note a temperature that's too high (80+ is very high, 70+ is a worry, <60 is fine (centigrade of course)) then you will need to have your processor heat sink and fan remounted - you may possibly need a new heat sink and fan combo to handle the load if the current one is not up to it.  High performance units (eg those made by Thermaltake) are available, at a price.

Beware mounting a heat sink onto a processor can be a delicate process, and the right materials (especially a high performance thermal compund) is necessary.  Check out http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm for an idea of what is involved.  Also note that you must be VERY CAREFUL when mounting the heat sink.  It must be clipped onto the processor socket - involving the application of high force (more than enough to crack the processor and/or motherboard) if it is done incorrectly.  If you want details on how to do it properly, post back - otherwise I won't go into it quite yet.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 07:35:15 AM »
I forgot to ask:

Does your mainboard support SmartFan?

If yes, this might be the source of your problems. I had to disable mine because it would randomly play beeping sounds.

You can disable Smartfan in the BIOS.

Temporal

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 08:08:39 AM »
wow thanks for the long reply chade, i just installed MBM and i'm going to check the tempreture when my pc starts the beeping noises

Raptor, on the back of the box my motherboard came in it says it has smartfan, it even says so in the manual, i go to bios, and the option is not there...what in the world....

chade

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 08:16:22 AM »
No problems man - Raptor's question is a very good one though.  Look again in the BIOS for SmartFan and turn it the *censored* off.  It will be in PC Health Status section of the BIOS.  You do not want this enabled in my opinion (the idea is to limit the speed of the CPU fan based on temperature of the CPU - to me anything that slows down the CPU fan is a bad bad idea - particularly as temperature gauges in PCs can be out of whack).

Good call Raptor.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 08:17:41 AM »
It is also stated on the box and in the manual that not all Gigabyte mainboards supports the functions stated on the box and in the manual.

Either you overlooked it or it really is not there. Try searching for it, and see if you can disable it. Beats installing a new CPU if heat is not your problem.

Temporal

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 08:47:15 AM »
yup, its not there, i just installed MBM and well... the beeping noise so far...is gone!
i have no idea what i did, i just installed MBM.
Could it be possible that SANDRA causing some problems b4 triggered a problem on my MB and installing MBM caused it to untrigger the problem, possibly the alarm system?

I've ran a few games where i had the problem and i didnt get the beeping sound at all, my CPU tempreture the whole time reached a max of 58degrees celsius

i'm going to do more testing and see if the sound comes back, i still would like to find out what caused the problem etc, i guess theres no such thing as a perfect PC.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 08:48:23 AM by Temporal »

chade

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 08:50:30 AM »
Anything's possible, but that's very doubtful.

It's more likely its a colder day where you are, and you haven't hit 60 yet - which I'm guessing is the trigger point for the beeping.

Have you checked in the BIOS for processor overheat warnings (PC Health Section)?

And nope, it's never perfect.  Just make it as close to as you can (for you).

Temporal

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 04:09:40 PM »
you were right...it was overheating, now i need some advice on what to do.

I was running disk defrag on my HD with MBM running, decided to leave it running and go to sleep.
The tempreture was at a steady 35degrees celsius

i was about to go to sleep when i heard the beeping sound, i turned back my monitor and saw that my CPU tempreture had risin to 63 degrees, however in a minute it dropped back to 35-37degrees celsius...

my case tempreture remained the same.

what could cause such a tempreture spike?
would my sensor be damaged?
would there be alot of dust causing too much heat to be acumilated?

argh....

merlin

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 05:45:04 PM »
it this bios alarm set to this figure contact intel for more. or reset defaults in the bios del key on boot and sisoft sanda would not cause this....try aida32 and see what that comes up with have you altered any settings..no reply i guess..