Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Repair/restore registry on slave drive  (Read 6676 times)

kowkow

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Repair/restore registry on slave drive
    « on: January 17, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »
    Hello

I've a problem after a chipset driver update, and I am now without use of keyboard or mouse.

The keyboard is working in bios, but once XP has loaded it tries installing new hardware to which it requires me to use the mouse and keyboard which are not working as the drivers aren't loaded. Crazy.

Anyway, I've tried safe mode etc. to no avail, and what I would like to know is how to restore the messed OS whilst using it as a slave from another drive with XP loaded.

Thankfully I made a system restore point on the messed drive before the driver update - can I somehow utilise this system restore point from the temporary drive to restore the registry on the messed drive to it's former self?

Thanks for any help

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Repair/restore registry on slave drive
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:09:50 PM »
    1) What is on this slave drive ?
    2) If it has an OS system installed you realise it will not work on another machine...correct ? ?
    3) What is it you want to do with this drive ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »
    1) What is on this slave drive ?
    2) If it has an OS system installed you realise it will not work on another machine...correct ? ?
    3) What is it you want to do with this drive ?
    I think I know what he means:
    1)  He want to take the bad drive & slave it on another computer.
    2)  I think he does know, because he intends to slave it.
    3)  He wants to restore the bad drive while it's slaved.  We know that can't be done.

The bigger issue is why the mouse & keyboard only work in the BIOS & not when Windows boots?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:18:27 PM »
    Based on the title, depending on what type of registries(unknown) you want to perform or make repairs on a slaved hard drive. If its a Windows corrupt then use the OS CD to restore/repair on the machine that was installed. Other than that on a Slave hard drive, I doubt it.

kowkow

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »
      I think I know what he means:
      1)  He want to take the bad drive & slave it on another computer.
      2)  I think he does know, because he intends to slave it.
      3)  He wants to restore the bad drive while it's slaved.  We know that can't be done.

The bigger issue is why the mouse & keyboard only work in the BIOS & not when Windows boots?

Hello, thanks for your replies - the above is correct.

I now have xp installed on a £10 ide slave so that I can view the main pc's sata disks - one of which has the installation of windows that I'd like to repair; the reason being that of the two drives, the sata hdd with xp is partitioned, and I don't fancy taking the risk of losing the data that's on it.

Is there a way that I can run a system restore on the slave drive, or maybe utilise the system restore data?

Thanks again

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
      ...Is there a way that I can run a system restore on the slave drive, or maybe utilise the system restore data?...
      No.