Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how do you see what is on the recovery partition in windows 7:  (Read 4505 times)

mpoehling

Topic Starter

• Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
how do you see what is on the recovery partition in windows 7:
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:00:36 PM »
I have a Toshiba Satellite a505-s6960.  It came with vista and also an up grade for windows 7.  When the geek squad put in windows 7 they did not give me a clean copy of windows 7, it was put on with all the stuff that came with the computer.  I need to find how to copy the drivers I need to run the system and the internet and the oem's for the computer.  Some of the programs that the computer came with I want to use again.  So how do I get them to be saved so I can Pick and choose which ones I want? I want the original Toshiba programs that came with the computer.  I don't need the trial ones.  Also I have data and pictures that need to be saved too.  Also when I save these programs and drivers I would like to be able to know what each one is instead of just a number or something else I do not understand.  I have formatted and put in new OS systems before but always have a hard time when it comes to getting important things needed back in.
Please help

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: how do you see what is on the recovery partition in windows 7:
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »
You can go to Toshiba support site and type in the specific model of your machine for any missing drivers needed.
Some of the programs that the computer came with I want to use again.
We don't know these programs. What are they?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »
Yes, I was about to say that too.
Did the Geek Squid tell you this would happen? They should have been more help.
Please check this out:
...When you're switching to a new PC, Windows Easy Transfer helps you transfer your files, email, pictures, and settings. In Windows 7, it lives up to the "easy" in its name. ...
Windows Easy Transfer
Notice Microsoft does NOT say it transfers programs.

mpoehling

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:36:50 PM »

I need to save some of the drivers needed to run the computer after I get the clean copy of windows don't I?  What about the toshiba burning roms and what I would need to get on the internet and Ethernet drivers and things like that.
I just need to see the drivers and programs on the recovery disk to know what I want to keep and discard.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
Check your Device Manager first for any missing drivers. Win 7 has lots of generic drivers compatible assuming that your machine is Win 7 capable. You could always go to the support site and save any drivers needed for your machine if needed.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:23:13 AM »
I don't understand why you don't just uninstall the unwanted software.  You won't see a performance increase from all the extra work.
Evil is an exact science.