Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer Issues - label printer and inkjet  (Read 3209 times)

Delpha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Printer Issues - label printer and inkjet
    « on: January 27, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
    I have  a zebra 450 label printer and an hp inkjet printer both installed on the same computer. When I use one and then switch to the other it carries over the format from the other. So if I print labels and then go to use my inkjet it only prints a 6x4 rectangle on the full sheet, but the second time I use it it's fine. It also does this when I use the inkjet and switch to the labels. It stretches it over several. Is there a workaround for this? I hate all the waste.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Printer Issues - label printer and inkjet
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »
    Re-boot after switching printers...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Delpha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 02:38:27 PM »
      I have, but the problem is reoccurring. It's only an issue for the first copy once I switch, but I don't want to have to waste paper and ink. I have to alternate between the two often, so rebooting constantly isn't really feasible.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »
      Have you tried manually setting the paper size before you print to a particular printer?

Delpha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:57:54 PM »
        It only lets me reset it for the zebra label printer, but I have to do it every single time I switch back to it, and it won't let me do it for the inkjet. I have to print a page on it to clear the formatting carried over from the zebra.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
        Is the HP inkjet the default printer, and have you set the paper size in its properties?

Delpha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
          Yes, the hp is the default, and it's set to letter.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
          From a quick Google which showed me similar questions to yours, I get the impression that this may be an issue specifically affecting HP printers, or rather their drivers. I suggest you try asking in an HP printer forum.

I don't understand what you mean by "it won't let you" change the paper size for your HP. You haven't said what operating system you are using, but I'll assume it's some kind of Windows - you go into Printers and Faxes and double click on the icon for the HP and choose "Properties" from the "File" menu, and what, the paper size is grayed out?

Delpha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
            I had it working fine before. It became an issue when I had to reinstall the drivers for the zebra. I downloaded them from the site and they installed fine, but it seems to be an updated version, because the layout in the properties menu is different from what I remember; However, I can't find any older versions of it. I'm at a loss.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »
            Encore une fois...

I don't understand what you mean by "it won't let you" change the paper size for your HP. You haven't said what operating system you are using, but I'll assume it's some kind of Windows - you go into Printers and Faxes and double click on the icon for the HP and choose "Properties" from the "File" menu, and what, the paper size is grayed out?

Delpha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
              I'm running vista. It doesn't let me change it right after I use the zebra. When I go to change it the options are available but then when I click it a message saying something about a tray error pops up.