Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD every time I turn my computer on  (Read 3602 times)

duncand

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    BSOD every time I turn my computer on
    « on: January 29, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
    E6600
    MSI P35 Neo
    GF 460 NTX 1gb
    4 GB Ram (2x1 + 1x2)
    Windows 7 (64 bit - used to have 32 bit and problem was the same).
    SB Audigy 2

I've been having major issues with my computer for the past couple of months. I keep getting BSODs, usually when I first start the system (sometimes up to 5 times before I can get into windows). It also sometimes happens when I leave the computer idle for a while, and very occasionally when I try to open a program like firefox or word (enough to have made me paranoid about using word and losing work).

So far I have done the following:

formatted and reinstalled windows (7)

bought a new harddrive

bought a new graphics card

bought a new psu

removed audigy 2zs soundcard because apparently win 7 has some issues with it

disconnected and removed a dead optical drive

checked memory sticks all work

updated all drivers to latest versions (inc BIOS)

When I get the BSOD, sometimes I get a message about rdyboost.sys, others it says IRQL Equal to or less than (or something like that), and others its just a series of numbers and letters.

Here are the most recent reports I've been getting from WhoCrashed:

On Sat 29/01/2011 07:49:14 GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012911-18906-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: rdyboost.sys (rdyboost+0x134C1)

Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF880015D04C1, 0xFFFFF8800372F858, 0xFFFFF8800372F0C0)
    Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\rdyboost.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: ReadyBoost Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 29/01/2011 14:23:24 GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012911-19234-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70740)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41287, 0x5F4A0, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
    This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 29/01/2011 17:09:25 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012911-19453-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12903)
    Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8004AF1028, 0xB2000040, 0x800)
    Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
    description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 29/01/2011 18:37:10 GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012911-18687-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70740)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000096, 0xFFFFF80002E9D990, 0x0, 0x58000000000)
    Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

I'm honestly starting to lose the plot with this now. The system runs largely ok 90% of the time when I'm doing stuff (playing games, etc) but as soon as I turn it off...leave it for a bit ... then turn it on again, it starts booting then blue screens as soon as I get into windows.

After a restart it then seems to be working fine again...until I turn it off....even manual restarts dont seem to be triggering the problem.

Please if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it .... I'm at the point of wondering whether I just need to buy a new Motherboard but I think that will invalidate my copy of Windows 7 because of the licensing system Microsoft use...so that really needs to be a last resort

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: BSOD every time I turn my computer on
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »
    Random BSODS which is what you have can sometimes be caused by a flakey/failing PSU...
    Before giving up on the MBoard i'd borrow a known working one of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there for 24 Hours or so...

You'll know if thats the issue or not...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

duncand

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:12:41 AM »
      Replacing the PSU was one of the first things I did :( Any other ideas?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:34:41 AM »
      Have you run a diagnostic on your ram yet? If not, download memtest and do so.