Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Have SATA and IDE want to dual boot windows and linux (have IDE to SATA adapter)  (Read 4144 times)

Sander

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi there guys,

Im here because of a question i have concerning my HDD's.
    Here goes,

I have a SATA disk that is my main HDD where windows is installed and i also discovered an IDE 320gb i had a while and connected it to the IDE ribbon.

Both disks are ok and the IDE one is recognised and given a volume letter under windows.

Now i want to install linux on the IDE drive thus format it to EXT3 + have some files that i will be using under windows as well.

So i would want it to dual boot Windows and the Linux Distro and both to be visible in one another.

I also have an IDE to SATA adapter which i could use to make the IDE show as SATA on my computer but i dont know if that would have any advantages.

Would it?

What is my best setup with what i have there?

I wouldnt mind changing the boot order every time if dual boot is not possible but it would be muuuuch easier with a bootloader.

I havent yet formatted the IDE disk ill be waiting for some more solid views on the matter and then start playing around.

Thank you in advance,

Sander

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Are you asking three questions? Four? Five?
    The following are general observations, not perfect rules.

Linux does not need or even benefit from having a very larger drive or partition space in ext3 format.

The Linux OS does benefit from having a wxt3 format with moderate space for its own use. But Windows does not read ext3 at all.

Linux reads NTFS, but does not write it the way Windows prefers.
    Bother Windows and Linux can share a moderate size FAT32 partition.

Converting a IDE to a SATA interface does not give the IDE what you imagine.

Sander

Topic Starter

Rookie

Sorry for being so confusing and thanks for the reply.

As i can see from your reply i have some homework to do about formats.

However my questions, numbered, are the following :

Since i want to install Linux on the IDE and have that disk, or part of it visible in windows,

1. What format should it be formatted in?

2. Could i partition the IDE, format one partition to accommodate Linux (EXT3?Around 30-40 Gb? ) and the other one to FAT32 (Large piece)  so linux and Windows both read that partition? Would Windows then be able to Read/Write in that?

3. As i can understand converting the IDE to SATA is not needed, would i have to boot each HDD every time i reboot my system?

Thank you,

Sander
      « Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:35:05 PM by Sander »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      Thank you for responding. This is the best I can do to answer your question. Formulating written answers is not my best thing. There'll be spelling errors and RAM or errors and even dramatic errors in code as I am doing this with dictation, and I talk like I talk very
      let's look at your last question. You need to become familiar with how your computer BIOS. In my BIOS there is an option to select which drive if I hit the F8 key before windows can see me hit the F8 key. Kind of confusing. This can be annoying, but it certainly works and it is a practical solution to the problem. Even if it is annoying.
      Now then, as to how to partition just one drive, both Linux and Windows and use that drive and share data. Let's suppose I have 160 Gbytes IDE drive that is in good condition but does not have any information that I need. Or at least I have already saved the essential information to DVD discs.
      I would first boot in one of my favorite Linux CDs and prepare my drive using the Linux live CD. This is a version of Linux that does not require a hard drive to actually come up and run. It runs from the CD and from RAM. Using the drive utility is inside of Linux I would prepare the drive in the following manner.
      Delete any partitions that are already on the drive, and make sure the drive is an MS-DOS type . That should not be necessary, but it is one of those esoteric things that it can really mess you up if it has not been set. Most people are not even aware what this is. Next, I would create a nice size NTFS partition as a primary partition. It should start at the beginning of the drive. Since this is 160 GB drive, let's divide up and into nice 40 GB pieces are in okay, first partition is a primary partition and its 40 GB. Next we create an extended partition that covers almost all the rest of the space. Well, let's leave just a tad. Maybe leave 20 GB of non allocated space. It's not wasted. It's just unallocated. Now inside the extended partition we make some logical drives. Let's start with a nice size that 32 partition. Maybe 30 GB. Next we create a Linux partition using the EXT 3 format. About 40 GB. Last we do a Linux swap of 7GB. let's see, that doesn't take up all the available space. No problem, we can use one of the Linux facilities later to change the size of the partitions.
      The order of installation is a critical issue here. We'll have to install windows XP first. You might want to do some of the windows updates and perhaps install just a few of our favorite programs. But it's not necessary to do all that right now.
      Next we do the Linux installation. Having less experience with the Linux installation, are likely to do something wrong or did that's one of the reasons we didn't do the complete Windows installation with all of our programs. We could botch up Linus installation to work wipes out the windows XP system.
      Now we have to pay attention and do a manual installation of Linux system. In some cases the automatic installation work fine, but we don't really know that. So we have to do go through this thing and manually tell it what partitions to use.
      If all goes well, we'll end up with a GRUB menu that asks us if we want to boot into Linux or if we want to boot into Windows. That is about as good as it gets. You can try for a fancier menu that looks nice, but it's just a lot of work to make it look pretty.
      So basically, the idea was to our equipartition the disk first, having only one primary partition. By the way, it has to be set active. Now somebody will tell you you don't have to do that. That somebody won't be around when it doesn't work. Just make your primary partition was set to be the active partition. Windows XP is installed first, followed by Linux. After everything seems to be working okay, then we can add more stuff into the Windows system.
      If we ever have to repair the windows XP installation, we're probably going to lose the GRUB boot loader. So at some point in time you might want to make a floppy disk that can boot into Linux partition. That's documented somewhere, I used to do that but I forgot how the disk was made. I think you can even get a USB right to do that for you.
      Hope this answers most of your questions. I'm dictating this using a program called Dragon naturally speaking. And using Windows &, you'll find a program very similar to this inside of even the Home version of Windows 7 is called the speech recognition.
      microphone off

Sander

Topic Starter

Rookie

Wow, thanks a lot for the long reply, i should however have stated that i am kind o familiar with Linux and how it gets installed and I also have a g-parted live cd as well for partitioning, really helpful.

I should as well have stated that Windows are installed on the SATA disk and i would never want to touch that as it is 300 Gbytes of stuff. I know its not good, i know i have to partition that as well and save my data on another partition but oh well ill do it today.

So my suspicion of a partitioned FAT32 and EXT3 disk stands?

What i am afraid though is if the FAT32 partition of the IDE hdd will be visible from the SATA HDD while in Windows.

Thank you for your help.

Sander

Topic Starter

Rookie

By the way i know of Dragon dictation,  its a real time saver but not quite perfect yet :P

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          Glad to hear you are into Linux. And OK on the gparted  thing.
          http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
          A FAT32  partition can be common to both Windows and Linux. However, in both OS you can demount a partition you do not want to see.
          Using GRUB. or a similar manager, you can boot from almost anything that is bookable. But my experience is limited. Back in the days of LILO I was able to do strange mufti boot tings. It is possible to have two versions of two OS spread over two hard drives.  And each OS can ignore partitions by not mounting them.
          Normally Windows will refuse to mount a partition it can not read. There is a way around that , but i think that is beyond what you want to know at this point. Anyway, Linux can read just about anything if you ask it to.

Sander

Topic Starter

Rookie

True, i just checked one of my laptops and Ubuntu reads and writes to the NTFS partition i have windows on. I could, knowing that, create an NTFS partition and mount it/unmount it accordingly. I will however format it to FAT32 just to be sure.

Thanks for your help erm...Geek  ;D

Sander