Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pci graphics card for my motherboard?  (Read 3729 times)

matthelm88

pci graphics card for my motherboard?
« on: August 12, 2005, 09:35:30 PM »
really don't know too much about these types of things...maybe someone can help...

I want to get this videocard:

Overclocked GeForce 7800 GTX Video Card (256MB, PCI-Express x16, Dual DVI, VIVO)

and I have this motherboard:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/E7505/X5DAE.cfm

Will they work together?

any help will do?

thanks

matthelm!

Raptor

Re: pci graphics card for my motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 08:13:38 AM »
I am not familiar with PCI-Express, but it looks like the mainboard should be compatible.

• 1x 64-bit 133/100/66MHz PCI-X (3.3V) slot
• 2x 64-bit 100/66MHz PCI-X (3.3V) slots
• 2x 32-bit 33MHz PCI-X (5V) slots

May I ask why you want a dual processor board?

matthelm88

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 11:22:26 AM »
thanks!  Is there anyone else that knows a bit more aobut PCI-Express that could help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

mh88

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 11:35:38 AM »
    According to the specs of the board, it may be too fast for your board. The smallest pci-x slot is x32 and 2 x64 and thet card is x16. The board meybe backward compatable but I would buy a faster videocard as to take full advantage of the board like this one
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1212069&CatId=0

hope this helps
    WRWSS

matthelm88

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 05:23:51 PM »
    So is this true?  My motherboard is too fast for the videocard?  I do not see the Nvidia 7800 offerred other than the pci x16...can anyone help me out on figuring if this "x16" would work on my motherboard?

Thanks

mh88

wrwss

Intermediate
    • PITTSBURGH,PA.
      « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 10:10:48 PM »
      All I can say is to call the mobo maker and ask them, it may be backward compatable and run at x16 on one of the x32 slots. Or you can just try it out. What in the world are you building anyways?? That is one heck of a board! The card you have is recommended with this board    Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI
      This board is equipped with the x16 pci-x card as well as the x1 pci-x and standard pci slot. Hopefully they will be of some help to you, wish I could help you more but I have never seen such a beefy mobo before.
      WRWSS