Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Laptop - Made forced shutdown with programmes running, running badly.  (Read 3693 times)

Jonesy85

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help you can suggest.

I have a HP Compaq laptop using Windows vista 'basic' OS.

The battery pack always has to plugged into the mains otherwise the laptop will run out of battery and turn itself off (not the main problem i need solving).

I had a few programmes running and wasn't aware that the power adaptor had slipped out and the laptop ran out of battery and shutdown automatically ( not through the proper procedure).

Ever since this happened the laptop has been running poorly.

For 1, whenever User Account Control pops up for a programme and I press continue, the screen freezes (in the shaded mode) and I have to exit through ctrl, alt, del.

Secondly the laptop seems to be taking alot longer to boot up than before the forced shutdown.

I have ran full virus scans, and it says everything is fine.

No doubt this has happened to someone and you could help me!

Thanks alot

Matt

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Let's start with the hd: To check the hard drive right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

Jonesy85

Topic Starter

Starter

Hi Allan,

I,m not sure how or why but after running the disk check, the computer is running alot better!

the start up is running alot quicker and UAC is working.

Just out of interest how/why would this have helped?

Thank you very much!

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Anomalous shut downs can cause lost clusters and other hd errors. Often these very minor in nature and the user is not effected, but sometimes they can cause problems. Running checkisk with the repair option generally fixes the problems.

Jonesy85

Topic Starter

Starter

That makes sense.

Thanks again

Matt

2011summit

Just had the same experience on my vaio. Thanks for the clarification!