Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard and Mouse Dont Work  (Read 4577 times)

Crafty

Keyboard and Mouse Dont Work
« on: August 13, 2005, 04:43:11 PM »
Ok im am totally stuck, My Mouse and keyboard dont work. The computer boots to windows 2000 desktop but there is no mouse pointer and the keyboard appears frozen.

I decided the only thing i could do was to format and reinstall windows but when i put a boot start up disk in or windows 2000 disk, i am not able to select the option to boot the CD up. The usb ports have never worked so my mouse is in the the ps2 slot.

I cant boot into the bios or safe mode so i am totally stuck as to what to do.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 05:17:24 PM by Crafty »

merlin_2

Re: Keyboard and Mouse Dont Work
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 04:45:45 PM »
Graphics card..............drivers......or card not seating in mobo..........what happened to the beeps on boot?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:48:59 PM »
    You will need to be able to get into your bios in order to set the cdrom as the 1st boot device.
    Try tapping the Del key at startup.

Crafty

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 05:16:41 PM »
    the cd is already selected as the first boot device. But when i put the boot up disk in and get a screen with some options. i try to select boot computer with cd rom support but i cant because the keyborad doesnt work. As i said i cannot get into the Bios i tap the key but the Keyborad doesnt work. Merlin Graphics display is fine i get the sinle beep to say computer has posted ok. But there is no pointer and keyboard wont work.
    « Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 05:18:44 PM by Crafty »

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 05:21:14 PM »
    Does the num light come on!  on boot is this a different pc or the one you built!

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 05:28:47 PM »
    Its an old Pc not one thats built. Yes the Num light comes on briefly at boot but goes back off and doesnt come back on when i press it after it has booted to desktop.
    « Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 05:31:39 PM by Crafty »

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 05:33:54 PM »
    Try the bios setup.........whats the make of it.........compaq/ibm/hp

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 05:39:47 PM »
      Can you try a different keyboard and/or mouse?

Crafty

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 05:45:19 PM »
      As i have said i cannot get into the Bios because my keyboard wont work. so pressing the Del key is pointless, when i do press it my computer just boots to windows desktop, where there is no mouse pointer and the keyboard still doesnt work. I have tried a diffrent keyboard and mouse and get same thing.
      « Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 05:47:12 PM by Crafty »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 05:50:48 PM »
      ...The usb ports have never worked so my mouse is in the the ps2 slot.....

Both are in the same corner of the motherboard.  Broken connection on motherboard will cause this problem.  If you have a magnifier and soldering iron...maybe it can be repaired.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 05:51:49 PM »
        Is it possible that your Del key is not the one for entering bios?
        Can you read the screen as it flashes by?

Crafty

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 05:58:44 PM »
        Yes Del key is the one. When i say usb has never worked, sorry what i meant to say was they worked when i had Windows ME installed but havnt ever worked with Windows 2000 installed. So is this computer beyond repair. One other thing although i dont see the mouse pointer the red eye on the mouse is lite up.
        « Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 05:59:15 PM by Crafty »

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 06:08:21 PM »
        So is this computer beyond repair.

No such thing. Each part can be replaced or repaired.

When i say usb has never worked, sorry what i meant to say was they worked when i had Windows ME installed but havnt ever worked with Windows 2000 installed.

You may need to install the proper drivers. They may have come with Windows ME because the manufacturer installed them for you, but Windows may not auto-install them by default.

Ok im am totally stuck, My Mouse and keyboard dont work. The computer boots to windows 2000 desktop but there is no mouse pointer and the keyboard appears frozen.

Could this be due to a virus or spyware? Do you recall using or installing software that was untrustworthy?

Crafty

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 06:11:53 PM »
        i dont recall installing anything that could give me a virus, But i dont have a virus program installed either.
        « Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 06:12:10 PM by Crafty »

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 06:13:09 PM »
        i dont recall installing anything that could give me a virus, But i dont have a virus program installed either.

Tell us what happened before this problem occured.