Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unpugged comp -?PCI Device-No Gfx hardware?  (Read 2308 times)

Randal R

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Unpugged comp -?PCI Device-No Gfx hardware?
    « on: February 14, 2011, 11:53:36 PM »
    Hello.

I will keep this a simple as possible. Since I have had so many problems since Dec and reinstalling windows
    with DELL Tech Support(paid) and still unable to use assets of the comp- anyhow.

I have a DELL Dimension 3000 WinXP SP2-(maybe3 as in an update)
    P4 2.8 Ghz 512 Mb RAM 80 Gb hard drive.

All was working prior to----
    I just unplugged the comp and took off cover to air out the dust.(due to fans blowing hard)I now have  PCI device unknown
    I suspect it is Nvidia GE-Force 6200 Graphics card. The Nvidia control panel is inaccessible and is not in Task mgr.When I re-started comp it said new hardware detected - but could not do anything.
    I know it has to be something GFX because I can longer use apps to create images.but it will play or display them.

and when trying to install the nvidia drivers- during scan of system it says
    "install cannot continue"  "the graphic driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.
    Tried  adding new hardware- update-detect and come up with nothing.

I also noticed when rebooting I get two error reports for a split second- IDK what they are.
    In DEVICE MANAGER it lists a ?Other PCI Device.

I cannot make any graphics related images or use apps due to this.

Why would unplugging comp cause this? and what is it? and what do I have to do to correct it?

DEVICE DRIVER instance
    PCI\VEN_0440&DEV_8290&SUBSYS_200F14F5&REV_00\4&1C660DD6&0&10F0
    PCI Slot 3 (PCI bus 1, device 2, function 0)

I would really appreciate any help. unplugging comp I would think would not create this situation.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Unpugged comp -?PCI Device-No Gfx hardware?
    « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:52:42 AM »
    IMO unplugging the PC would not cause harm if it was already off. More likely you dialoged something when you wee inside the PC. You nay have removed a power cable that goes to the Graphics card or motherboard  Or the PCI card is partly out of the socket. Make sure it is all the way into the slot.

BTW, when blowing dust out of a PC it is best to use low pressure air and in some environments you must use a spray can with a propellant

Note to moderator. I did not make that up.  se only canned air with a certified propellant. Just plain compressed air from a compressor may damage a  PC, Yes, I know, thousands of techs have used compressed air and never had a problem. The few that ruined a PC are too embarrassed to admit it.

Yeah, the sigh says cloths. Should also say computer.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Randal R

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Unpugged comp -?PCI Device-No Gfx hardware?
      « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:58:37 AM »
      oh no. I got no clue as to what is and how to do it.

And frankly I posted this elsewhere and 1st reply said the same.

I did use compressed air- and ata good distance

So, I have to look for a power cord for the card and check the slot. Well, I will look up info on this and try it.

Thank you for posting. I was at wits end what it might be.