Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Display-Fans and lights turn on  (Read 4034 times)

ak21

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
No Display-Fans and lights turn on
« on: February 15, 2011, 08:56:16 PM »
Hi,
My original problem was my computer randomly shutting down without any error messages or anything like that, as well as not being able to turn it back on until after a while, seems like the longer I leave it turned off, the more time I get to leave it turned on before automatically turning off. Anyways so I decided to open up my computer and take out the heatsink and everything else out, and clean the dust off. After fully dusting off the computer I plugged everything back in and now the fans, and lights turn on, and the power supply fan slowly spins before finally spinning after a while. I get no display or any usb mouse light. I tried taking out the CMOS battery and then putting it back in, Also I get no beep when I take out the ram. I tried taking out the video card and plugging VGA unto motherboard. Also the hardrive, it spins so dont think its a hard drive issue.

When I took out the cpu it broke the thermal paste off, so I was wondering if that has to do with anything?
Also I am thinking if it might be the power supply and me needing more then 500 watts.

My Computer Specs:
Assus M3N78-VM
OCZ StealthXStream 500 watts P/S
OCZ 2x2gb DDR2 Ram
AMD Phenom x4 9600
Evga gtx 460 768 mb
Lg DVD Drive
Western Digital 1tb Black Edition
NZXT Guardian 921 case

Please Help!
Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:20:26 PM by ak21 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: No Display-Fans and lights turn on
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:01:28 PM »
A quick read of your post indicates that you did NOT damage the power supply. You did something when you removed the heat sink. Check your work, but before you do anything, get some thermal paste. It does not cost much and is required when you take off the heat sink.

ak21

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »
Yep, I am going to purchase thermal paste, one thing I heard that if I apply Arctic Silver 5 I could short circuit the cpu or motherboard if I put too much? Is it really to that extent? Just asking because the AMD technical support told me this is why they recommend silicone based paste.

Also, the reason I think it may be a power supply issue is because before I opened it up (and the reason for opening and cleaning everything) is because my computer kept turning off, and I had to wait a while before turning it back on and I also noticed that my power supply fan spins really slowly before finally spinning. Is it worth RMA'ing the power supply to OCZ to see if its working properly?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:56:35 PM »
Thats Bull what you've been told...

Thermal Paste Guide...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
If the power supply fans fails, the PSU will shut down from thermal overload.There is s heat sensor in the PSU. Failure of the fan does happen. Replacing the fan is easy to do. Replacement fans are cheap. Or take one out of a retired PSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ddtAZ6AV7A

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:10:30 PM »
The slow PSU fan speed may be directly related to the CPU thermal shutdowns....
Yry the proper thermal paste info 1st...if it continues the same way then RMA the PSU...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
Ignore my post. I didn't relize it was under warrenty.

ak21

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:16:26 PM »
thanks for all your replies, one thing I was wondering was,if you guys think I should buy Arctic Silver 5 3.5g ($7) or Via 1.5G Thermal Grease silicone($3)? Just asking since I have never heard of the Via thermal paste, let me know, then I will just order one, and get back to you once I get the thermal paste and apply it.  Also is there a point of buying ArcticiClean 1 & 2 (not much, $5 or so).

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »
Arctic Silver makes a variety of thermal materials. No need to try a unknown maker.
You can save a few $ buying one of the other proven formulas.
Arctic Silver CMQ-2.5G Ceramique Premium High-Density  is very good and a small tube is about $2 or $3 from most vendors.
The AMD comment was about one specific compound,
- not about the Arctic Silver product line.

ak21

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
I know that, I mentioned that it was about Arctic silver 5,  The thing is I live in Canada, and theres shipping costs and 13% tax (no near store beside me sells thermal paste). I searched the other product lines but the Arctic Silver 5 was the cheapest one from the Arctic Silver line up after shipping costs. Anyways guessing I should just buy Arctic silver 5 then?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
Good choice. Read the instructions on their site.It only takes a little.

ak21

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:15:48 AM »
My dad actually ended up buying me MX-002 (from instore), so had to cancel my online order. I applied the thermal paste to the cpu, so that gets rid of the thermal paste, also checked my work, and my brother checked it too, everything seems to be plugged in properly.

Is it possible to destroy the power supply if its trying to provide more power then it can, since my computer worked but when I got the video card,  like 2 or so days after the graphic card is installed, the computer kept turning off. Now it doesn't even show any display or anything.
I heard it might also burn the motherboard if the power supply can't supply enough power, is this actually true? Asking since it does make sense if its the motherboard as all fans turn on, that's plugged into the power supply but all usb,vga etc.. plugged unto motherboard don't work and I hear no beep when I take the ram out.

I think i might as well just rma some parts back, seems like the simplest way of fixing it, as I don't have any spare parts to know exactly what part is the problem.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
To determine if it's the PSU borrow a known good one of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...
Then we can move on to the other components...

ak21

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »
Sorry for the very late reply,but I rma'd back the motherboard and cpu and got them both back, for the cpu, it passed all tests for the motherboard they just replaced it, but I believe it passed the tests, and I am still having the same problem. I believe its the power supply. The reason why I think this is because of process of elimination and I also did the paperclip test, and it didn't spin, nothing did. Plus, the psu fan doesn't spin even when connected unto the computer, sorry don't have spare parts to swap. I also did a psu wattage calculator on different sites, and I would say it averaged out to something like 550 watts. I am thinking of just buying a new one,

Please give me your opinions, but if I do buy one, I was thinking of these two, and any others you guys may suggest in my price range (under $100).

Current 2 I am thinking of:
Antec Truepower New 650W Modular Power Supply $70: NCIX.com - Buy Antec Truepower New 650W Modular Power Supply ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready 120MM PWM Fan - Antec - TP-650 - in Canada

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W $50 ($30 M&R): NCIX.com - Buy OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply - OCZ Technology - OCZ600MXSP - in Canada