Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS ROM Checksum Error  (Read 13820 times)

earthgirl1975

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    BIOS ROM Checksum Error
    « on: February 19, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »
    I was updating my hardware drivers last nite and did the one listed for the BIOS from the HP website. Upon doing this the computer froze. When i started it back this message comes up on a black screen.

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
    BIOS ROM Checksum error
    Detecting Floppy drive A media
    INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

wireless keyboard and mouse wont work so i was forced to hold down the power button to shut it back down. I have tried restarting pc and
    pushing F keys. nothing but the same message would come up. I think went on another computer and had a chat online with a HP tech. They suggested i start it up and push the F10 key every second and the BIOS setup screen would appear. Tried this numerous times with no success. I have also tried putting in my Vista Recovery Disks that I created from this computer. Still doesnt work when started up, and the
    light on the DVD/CD player is on and working. After pushing the F10 key and nothing happening. The tech then suggested i send the computer to them for repair. I was going to see if anyone had any answers before I look for outside help at some repair place. Please help me if possible someone.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: BIOS ROM Checksum Error
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »
    What made you decide to make a Hardware or BIOS update? Is there a previous problem existing with your system? Check your BIOS and used default settings and save/exit. Reinsert or replace CMOS battery. Check your mobo documentation for any BIOS recovery for you may have a corrupt or incorrect BIOS flash update.

earthgirl1975

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:17:09 PM »
      What made you decide to make a Hardware or BIOS update? Is there a previous problem existing with your system? Check your BIOS and used default settings and save/exit. Reinsert or replace CMOS battery. Check your mobo documentation for any BIOS recovery for you may have a corrupt or incorrect BIOS flash update.

i did the update because i just wanted to make sure i had the latest drivers for my hardware. No problems before that. Cant get the BIOS to come to up to set it to default settings. I am going to replace the battery, tried taking it out and putting it back in to see if that worked but it didnt make any changes.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »

did the update because i just wanted to make sure i had the latest drivers for my hardware. No problems before that
      And the problem occured after the updates? Did you happen to flash update the BIOS?
      Usually this error could come from after a flash update which is not necessary.
      Cant get the BIOS to come to up to set it to default settings
      This is not a good sign... What do you mean cannot set?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 06:55:14 AM »
      You will need them to replace the BIOS ROM chip...sorry.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »
      You will need them to replace the BIOS ROM chip...sorry.

Before anyone jumps in here - this error is not the same as a CMOS checksum error, which refers to corrupted values of the CMOS settings, the ones you set through the BIOS setup program. This error means the contents of the BIOS code itself are damaged. As it's read-only memory it can't be put right. It could just be a problem on the motherboard chipset, but a new BIOS chip is cheaper than a new motherboard, so I'd try that first, That is if this is a PC with a socketed BIOS. If it is a laptop or desktop with a soldered BIOS then I'd be reviewing my options at this point.

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »
        Not something I've ever had to do though I've read a fair bit about it, why can't the OP just re-flash the bios?
        I'm guessing the OP updated the bios by flashing from within windows which has made the computer unbootable (wrong bios?) so now the only alternative is to do it the old fashioned way & flash it off a floppy.
        The motherboard book should have very detailed instructions on how to do this.
        Tracking down the right bios may be a challenge but if you have good eyes it will be printed on the bios chip.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »
        I was updating my hardware drivers last nite and did the one listed for the BIOS from the HP website. Upon doing this the computer froze. When i started it back this message comes up on a black screen.
        Check sum error in the BIOS come from either failure of the EPROM or a bad download or a flaky floppy. It is often repairable.
        It is not likely he used the wrung image.

When doing a BIOS flash, you should have two prepared floppies and maybe a third to backup copy the current BIOS.
        He needs to flash the BIOS again from the backup copy.
        Did the HP site say prudent and judicial procedures were not needed?
        I don't think so.

Do the flash again.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 11:54:04 PM »
        Not something I've ever had to do though I've read a fair bit about it, why can't the OP just re-flash the bios?

Quote from: Me, before
        Before anyone jumps in here - this error is not the same as a CMOS checksum error

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 11:58:52 PM »
        Check sum error in the BIOS come from either failure of the EPROM or a bad download or a flaky floppy. It is often repairable.

You are confusing 2 things: cmos checksum error, (bad flash, often repairable) and bios checksum error (failed BIOS chip, never repairable). The Bios ROM Checksum error really means trouble. It's not the BIOS settings (which have their own checksum as a consistency check). It's the checksum on the actual "permanent" code of the BIOS. Don't confuse EPROM and EEPROM memory.

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 12:24:35 AM »
          Thanks ST your post prompted me to do a search of Computer Hope for bios rom.
          http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000233.htm
          FWIW it would be impossible for a mere mortal to solder in a new chip but if it plugs into a socket then I believe it would be a proposition.
          A couple of years ago I got a chip & extractor tool sent to me from the biosman I think it was about $30 delivered to Australia.

Edit: Salmon Trout, it's bugging me that this started after the OP updated her bios, your thoughts on that?
          Could the the mention of ROM in the message be questionable?
          If ROM is read only memory how did she break it with a bios update?
          « Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:41:10 AM by Fed »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 05:48:26 AM »
          BIOS ROM hasn't been a true ROM chip for many years. They have been largely EEPROM chips for ages.

the problem here is as Fed notes. It is from the BIOS flash; for some reason the flash failed in some degree and the checksum (also part of the flash) no longer matches the checksum of the actual BIOS code.

Some BIOS's allow for "emergency" flash procedures with a floppy; but this is a weird case.

Most BIOS failures do not get far enough into the POST to show video. They generally emit a beep code. Then you would (if the bios supports it) perform the "emergency" reflash (my old K6-2 had a teensy piece of true ROM data that was entirely unchangable that would be able to reflash the BIOS from a floppy using rudimentary IO functions).

One might determine that the error might mean the failure of that teensy piece of true ROM data. However, that is checked long before the post even begins, so that would undoubtedly result in a Beep code. Additionally, the message shown indicates that what is executing is this emergency fallback BIOS "Award Bootblock BIOS" runs before the actual BIOS ROM is initiated, checks the BIOS checksum and then runs the BIOS code; however, in this case the BIOS code is not valid. the procedure differs based on the actual motherboard and BIOS configuration, but generally requires simply a bootable floppy (containing the award Flash utility and the correct BIOS BIN file). Note that as the system is now it does not recognize anything but the core basics.

Another possibility is bad RAM, which could have interfered either during boot or when the BIOS code was loaded to perform the checksum. Seems odd that bad memory would only manifest after a BIOS Flash.

pre-emptive snark: Yes. I know what a ROM BIOS is. I also know that you don't flash the CMOS so I have no idea why some people think everybody else thinks so.

If ROM is read only memory how did she break it with a bios update?

Only a small piece of ROM is read-only; the Award Boot Block that is being used by the OP's machine is that tiny piece of rudimentary code that understands only the very basics necessary to reflash; basic floppy drive support, basic text mode display, etc. It's only purpose is to allow the user to reflash the BIOS.

PS: this "Bootblock" BIOS is generally not on the BIOS Chip at all but rather on a separate chip soldered onto the motherboard; if it was bad however, there would be no display at all, and instead they would have gotten the incorrect BIOS checksum beep code (or something equivalent). The Bootblock BIOS checks it's own checksum before it executes itself. If it fails, it emits a beep code. It cannot display any video at that point, because it hasn't done any actual hardware probes to know what video adapter is available and therefore how to engage any text mode display, nor are any BIOS routines available for it to write text to the screen anyway, being that it suspected them of being corrupt. In this case the bootblock BIOS is telling them that their main (flashable, EEPROM) BIOS is probably corrupted. It can display this message because the Bootblock code has a very rudimentary understanding of basic text mode display and Floppy drives.

You'll note I said some things twice. This was important to prevent being labelled as somebody who "clearly is confusing the CMOS checksum error with a BIOS Checksum error".
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 06:04:53 AM »

You'll note I said some things twice. This was important to prevent being labelled as somebody who "clearly is confusing the CMOS checksum error with a BIOS Checksum error".

That's me told!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:21:57 AM »
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 07:35:02 AM »
          At any rate it needs replaced...

And many EEPROM's if flashed incorrectly cannot be reverted back by re-flashing....some can...most can't.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "