Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: People, I NEED HELP!  (Read 3239 times)

buddylee

People, I NEED HELP!
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:59:18 AM »
Hi all,  a week ago, I had just finished loading close to 4000 JPEGs into my Sony Vaio Media Center VCG-RC210G w/XP MCE (w/RAID drives).  Before I backed it up I wanted to clean some garbage out & I had downloaded a trial version of AVG Anti-virus.  I didn't like it so I clicked it's uninstall button.  The Uninstall wizard came up & when it finished, my screen lost it's desktop & icons, blinked blue once & then went black with a white cursor in the upper left corner of the screen.  I tried booting in Safe Mode & the first time I did it, I got the boot screen & selected Safe Mode.  Instant black screen with white cursor.  Now the F8 key does not work  nor does the rest of the keyboard.  The XP recovery disks were not included with my computer.  Is there ANY way that I can get my images, documents & e-mail off this machine before I have to re-install XP (and no, I no longer have the JPEG backup SD card, our dog picked it up & bit two holes through it, it's been checked - worthless)??

Thanks for any advice.

Buddylee

charezTech

Re: People, I NEED HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 03:42:10 AM »
Hey ,

I would tell you to do System Restore but now your keyboard is not working, nut what  i can advice you to do is to use Hirens and Ghost back up your info and Format the HDD or u can make it a slave in another PC and copy the Data into the Primary hdd and format, hope this works.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:57:12 AM »
Power off the system unplug the keyboard then replug it back in then power back on and see if youy get a responce form the keyboard.  Alot of time it is just a loose connection.

Might try a different keyboard.
"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

gluxon

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:03:24 PM »
To get the pictures off the hard drive, you could start up a Linux Operating System and use it to copy the pictures to a USB, then reinstall Windows.

Download the ISO from here, and burn it to a CD. Then insert the CD into the disk drive at startup like you would for Windows XP installation. Wait for the OS to load, and then it "Try Ubuntu".

From there, go to Places -> Computer, and open up your Hard Drive. Browser to the location your photos are (Probably "Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Pictures") and copy then to a USB device.

Hope this helps :)