Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sony Vaio Problem  (Read 3378 times)

midnight4731

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Sony Vaio Problem
    « on: February 23, 2011, 08:43:42 PM »
    I have a Vaio VGN-FJ290 and i just installed windows XP.  I have tried  to download drivers for it from several sites including sony and they start to install and before finishing it says its not intended for this specific model.  i had the model selected and all of that was correct.   so i looked in the system info and on the section that says "system model" it says "reserved".     Any help?  is there some type of way around this or something else i can do.   Thanks in advance

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sony Vaio Problem
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
    Please pride more information.
    What model do you think it is? Do you have the original documentation?l
    Way did you install XP?

midnight4731

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:48:09 PM »
      Its a Sony Vaio VGN-FJ260  "^^^^^".  i reinstalled windows xp on it.  the person who had it before me partitioned the hard drive on it. so i changed it all back and put xp on it to wipe it clean.    thats about the only extra info i can give you since thats all thats been done to it since in my hands.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:15:59 AM »
      Many are happy with the Sony Vaio. But...
      Here is a short list of problems.
      http://www.fixya.com/tags/vaio_vgn
      (This is not an endorsement of fixya.com, just a reference to show that Sony has some kind of QC or support issue.)

You may have a defect on the motherboard.
      But... You could try and see if you can get the right drivers before you give up.  There are programs out there that claim to identify you system and get the right drivers.

To start with, here is one that is free. But it does not get the drivers for you. It IDs what you have on the mother.

http://download.cnet.com/Everest-Ultimate-Edition/3000-2086_4-10499291.html

midnight4731

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:14 AM »
        o lol dont tell me that. i just got through purchasing a motherboard for a dv7 notebook that i am rebuilding right before i looked at your post. what a coincidence.  but ive been digging around on the computer for the last 4 hours and its starting to look like this guy that gave it to me had no idea what he was doing when he """was trying to fix it""""   i have found quite a few things disabled and deleted as well as stuff turned off in the bios that should have never been touched.   but im thinking hopefully after i sort out his mess i can reinstall the OS and start fresh once again.  Thanks for the help.