Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reputable site to download movies to HD, (legally-paid only) & best price?  (Read 10675 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
I hope this thread is in the right forum. I have a 320 Gb external hard drive almost full of movies that I paid for/downloaded 2 years ago from a site that I won't mention (since I attempted to access that site a couples of days ago and got a message about that site seized by law enforcement). I have no interest in piracy ect. I just want to be able to save the files for future viewing. I don't need to transfer or burn to disc ect. I've got $, but not a lot.
What sites are best for this?
Thanks,
Mike

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
It is not clear what you want. You have lots of movies already on a hard drive and you want to keep them. That should not be a problem. It becomes a problem if you distribute the immaterial in any way.
But why keep movies you have already seen?
You can get an account with Net Flicks and watch from a library of several thousand popular movies. It appears to be legal. They openly advertise on TV here in the USA.
If you are in North America, get a free coupon cede here:
http://moneyning.com/coupons/netflix-coupon-free-trial/
(New customers only.)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
It is not clear what you want.
I want more movies on my 320 Gb external hard drive, downloaded from a legitimate movie download source, and after the 320 is full I want to start filling up other Hd's I have, and on, and on. Bless the fine work of the hard drive guru's for the ability to store unlimited amounts of data.  :).

You have lots of movies already on a hard drive and you want to keep them.
Correct.

It becomes a problem if you distribute the immaterial in any way.
That's not the issue here. I have no intentions of distribution other than a few family members, and/or some friends viewing these movies at my house. I'm aware of the policy concerning non legal/--- information on this forum. I've been here since 2006 and caused some headaches, but non due to any illegal, shady, piracy ect.

But why keep movies you have already seen?

Because I like to see movies i like more than once, or twice, or three times - heck, 13 times for "a particular John Grisham flick" and more times than that for....

You can get an account with Net Flicks and watch from a library of several thousand popular movies. It appears to be legal. They openly advertise on TV here in the USA.
If you are in North America, get a free coupon cede here:
http://moneyning.com/coupons/netflix-coupon-free-trial/
(New customers only.)
I'm aware of Netflix. I researched their site, contacted online customer service and talked to Support live via 1--866....

INet

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I tried to create an account with Netflix but they don't accept prepaid debit cards so I have an account on Hippo-movies.com
So far I've downloaded several movies with no problem other than slow download speed (usually ~100-400 KB/sec)(My connection speed is 100Mb/sec). Some movies give download options of iPod, DiVX, DVD, 720P HD, or 1080P HD, but most have limits on these options. I guess I'm happy with it though. Selection is pretty good:

"Hippo Storage" =

* Movies: 7648
    * HD Movies: 2332
    * HD Online: 1772
    * Storage: 36366 GB

thanks Geek-9pm.  :)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I've run into a problem 3 times now when downloading movies. The download stalls. And if I try closing the download window, it won't close and other open windows also will not respond. The computer will not restart either. Everything becomes unresponsive. I have to disconnect the power supply cord and remove the battery in order to restart.
What's going on here?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Not sure. There has been speculation about -
Internet Service Providers limiting large high speed downloads
(Google that)
It shows how to battle ISP's throttling bittorrent speed, optimize download ... And MSN is not designed for sending such large files - just imagine if the file ... It can do wonders on torrents with high seeds and can give high speeds .... However, if you need to limit your download speeds, right-click the utorrent ...
(Found in a Google search)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
ISP limits may exist, but even if so, I would not think this would create a situation where my entire PC becomes unresponsive?
And my ISP is cable 100Mb/s. As I posted earlier - why is download speed only "~100-400 KB/sec"?
When the download finally stalls, the last download speed displayed is less than 50Kb/s.