Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fixing Registry Errors  (Read 3289 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Fixing Registry Errors
    « on: March 06, 2011, 05:14:19 AM »
    After listening to Kim Kommando last night, I used Uniblue to check for registry errors and I have over 550. But, ComputerHope instructions say I should NOT attempt to fix registry errors unless I know what I am doing. Since I do NOT know what I am doing, how can I eliminate my registry errors? Thanks.

Salmon Trout

Re: Fixing Registry Errors
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:26:35 AM »
    I hope you didn't pay any money for that Uniblue scamware. This site takes a dim view of magic registry cleaners and the way their vendors try to scare you into paying for them. Every Windows registry has so-called "errors", and people who want to make a fast buck try to get you to buy their useless software to "fix" what doesn't need to be fixed. If your computer is operating normally, then just ignore them. Even if it isn't working normally, these trashy products won't actually help. Just Google for "Uniblue scam" if you don't believe me. Uninstall this product and don't worry about your registry. And stop listening to that cockamamie Kim Komando trash. (She has a weekly call-in talk radio show in the USA where she pretends that paid-for spots are actually "advice".) Some quotes I found:

Kim Komando is full of crap

in Komando's world, selling ad space to the highest bidder is just fine.

Well, it's fine as long as you're not taking money to write a bit of an advertorial for something, of course. Phooey on that.

have you ever listened to Komando's radio show? It's full of advice that anyone with access to a search engine can find. She's all about marketing and her radio shows comes across as a blasted infomercial.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:29:50 AM »
    Registry cleaners CAUSE problems, they do not fix them. You do NOT have any registry errors - uninstall the software and don't worry about it.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »
      Thanks Allan. No, I did not pay for Uniblue. I did run CCleaner as suggested by ComputerHope. It identified only half as many errors as Uniblue. I backed-up my registry and let CCleaner fix the errors. I had to fix 4 times before all of the errors were gone. Should I re-install my old registry?

Re Kim Kommando, last night she was hyping Uniblue talking about its miraculous capability to defrag your harddrive and get rid of cookies/ temp internet files. I told my wife that I do that myself on a regular basis with Win XP built-in capability. I thought the same thing you do Allan, it is borderline fraud to pitch a product which does something you can easily do without buying that product.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:54:01 AM »
      If you are competent enough to maintain your PC's regular maintenence...as it sounds you are you don't need any fancy cleanup tools...Dump UniBlue.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:54:02 AM »
      I thought the same thing you do Allan, it is borderline fraud to pitch a product which does something you can easily do without buying that product.

It was I that said that, wasn't it? Anyhow, it sounds like you already got the message...

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:01:11 AM »
      You should not use the registry cleaning module of ccleaner either. DO NOT USE ANY REGISTRY CLEANER - EVER. Period.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 07:03:36 AM »
        Sorry Salmon Trout.

Ok, I screwed-up, big-time. I used CCleaner to fix my registry errors.

I am now wondering if I properly backed-up my registry. I simply said "yes" to the CCleaner prompt and saved it in My Documents. I did not follow the back-up procedure recommended by MS.

If I try to open the back-up file, I get a dialog box asking me I want to add the info in the back-up file to my registry. If I say "yes", will my registry be restored to the same place it was before I ran CCleaner? Thanks. 

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 07:18:30 AM »
        Ccleaner's registry tool is fairly benign - though it, like all registry cleaners, can cause problems. The likelihood is that you're fine - I didn't mean to send you into a panic. Reboot and wait a few days to see if there are any ill effects. But in the future, avoid registry tools.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 07:23:39 AM »
          Will do Allan. I did a quick search on Uniblue scam. Wow! How does Kim K stay in business?

For my peace of mind, did the CCleaner back-up put me in a position where I can restore my registry if I have to?

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »
          Yes, most likely.